Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

Extracting music from a ROM

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Extracting music from a ROM

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Well, tonight I finally found a viable DS ROM of Code Lyoko (the first great game, not the second sucky one) so I could extract the music in it to work into Code: Pokémon. However, upon ripping open the game, I was greeted with about 30 or so MIDI files and over a thousand WAV files of every conceivable combination of music the game could offer (none more than five seconds).

Therefore, I come to the citizens of LF, in hope that there's someone slightly more knowledgeable than me in this matter: how do I extract the BGM of the game music? What I stumbled upon was the sound effects (which are useful in their own right, but irrelevant to me at the moment), but I need the background music for my own hack.

I've used ndssndext v4.20, but that yielded the above results. Could someone please help me here?
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby SilverPrince » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Well, I happen to have several songs from the Code Lyoko DS game on my computer in MP3 form. They're all just versions of the music heard on the show. Would that be suitable?

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:37 pm

The Rev. SilverPrince wrote:Well, I happen to have several songs from the Code Lyoko DS game on my computer in MP3 form. They're all just versions of the music heard on the show. Would that be suitable?

Although those might help for remixing purposes (because I am remastering existing music and creating my own, and having reference files are always welcome), they wouldn't help as BGM in the romhack. Sorry.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 am

*searches for BGM format.

From the 5 minutes of reading it looks like a special type of audio disk for the CD-i, or a 3D model. If your wanting the audio format, I think your going to run into a problem. Google is turning up nothing on the format specifically. However Wikipedia said that BGM was also just an abbreviation for Background Music in games. Are you sure which format it is?

If your talking about audio, I have the all of the DS game's (I am assuming the first one, but am not sure) background tracks in RMI (aka MIDI) format, which is alot more flexible than MP3. If you can find a "BGM file converter" you can take the RMI tracks and encode to anything that you want, then convert to BGM.

If this isn't what your looking for then I have no idea. I was confused when I read this post a few hours ago, and I'm still really confused.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby AmericanLyokoTeam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:15 am

Boy what a train of research this thread sent me on. I didn't realize there were so many formats DS music can be extracted to. I kind of assumed because the sound processor interface for the DS is all hardware that you'd need custom files for extracted sound data, but it's not always the case apparently.

AppleFreaks, do you have a specific format you're looking to have the background music in?

If not, Quackstar's existing .rmi's are probably a great big time-saver.
If so, what format are you after having them in?
R.I.P. in peace, Polar and Forest sectors 2003-2013
AmericanLyokoTeam offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby AmericanLyokoTeam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:17 am

((The forum software decided we needed two copies of my post. Please delete this.))
Last edited by AmericanLyokoTeam on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. in peace, Polar and Forest sectors 2003-2013
AmericanLyokoTeam offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:17 pm

To clear up any confusion that I may have caused, when I say "BGM" I refer to background music. I thought that was the only meaning of that abbreviation...

Lord Quackstar, what you have is perfect. Could you please compress them to a .zip or .rar file and send it to me? If so, that would be a total life saver. One question, though: how would you convert the .rmi's into .mid's? I need to tune them up in Logic and them convert them into a .s file for insertion into the game.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby ccbtimewiz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm

When I made my bgm rip I used a tool called VGMTrans
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Opps, I put this on the to-do-eventually list and never did it. Sorry!

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1JYR ... .zip_links
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:Opps, I put this on the to-do-eventually list and never did it. Sorry!

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1JYR ... .zip_links

This looks as if it has everything I need! Thanks a lot!

The only thing is, there's file encryption on the zip file and I don't know the key to decrypt it. Could you either PM me the key or upload a copy of the file without encryption? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I noticed that all of the MIDIs have a file extension of .mi . Is this another form of MIDI, or is this an RMI file? Because all of the MIDIs I've seen floating around on the internet tend to be .mid files.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 am

Oh yea... forgot about that. I put a password on archives so they don't get deleted when their cracked open and find a bunch of music.

The password is:
HhX1HE6h1U5qY!vgkh4nuz$eiY6BvFIsCqJMwBK1

Be sure to remove the whitespace!
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter