Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

..I have no idea how this happened

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

..I have no idea how this happened

Postby Rho » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:40 am

Lately when I don't plug in the charger to my Laptop in time, it just shuts off and I have to restart it. Sometimes when this happens, the Date and Time change to 1969 and the internet connection dies. Upon fixing the Date and Time and restarting, it usually works again and brings the internet back up. Not today.

It happened, and I did the normal procedure, which usually works, and it didn't this time. Still said "None of your preferred networks are available."

So i got the install disc and did a reinstall, which usually works. When it finished and I restarted, I got a strange Welcome video and discovered it did something it never did before... I'm not sure what happened, but the desktop wallpaper was gone, the desktop files were gone, almost everything seemed to be reset. A good amount of applications and files went poof and whatnot.. and it still wont get to the internet. It mentioned something called Migration Wizard (or something along those lines) and I'm not sure if it worked recovering the stuff.

Main problem is that the internet is screwed up. I'll select the network I use, enter in the password, says "Connection timeout". Not "invalid password" or anything like that, but even when I type in gibberish for the password (as a test) it says the same thing.

How would I get in and change the password for the network, possibly connecting me again?
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:49 am

This is still on your iBook?

Well, the date/time thing that you're talking about is the result of the internal battery dying. You see, there are two batteries in any device that keeps time (except for stuff like watches or clocks): one main battery that powers the entire device (this is the one that gets recharged, or in the case of a desktop, this is replaced by the cord leading to the outlet) and one smaller battery on the motherboard that keeps track of time. If the date/time gets reset like this always, then the internal battery has choked.

I'm quite honestly still at a loss as to why your computer won't connect to the Internet. This sort of thing only happened to me once or twice, but never as frequently as this.

When doing the reinstall, you probably hit something that you shouldn't have and deleted most of your files. Or maybe you created an alternate user account or something like that. Check in /Users/ and /Volumes/ (to access this, hit Command-Shift-G and type in the address) for your old user account, then back up all of the files if they're there to another drive to ensure that they don't get deleted in the future.

How big is the screen on your iBook again? Just curious.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:17 pm

Everything TLOAF said was correct, but if your talking about Windows

If your talking about Windows, then the Migration Wizard won't help you much. Recovery's with the install disk usually completely break Windows. If you did a reformat and reinstall, then yes of course, your programs and files are going to be gone.

If you did a Recovery, then you just need to delete everything and start over. The reason is that the version of files on your disk is not the same version as on the computer. So when you replace all the files with old files, alot of programs will stop working because they expect the new version.

With your wireless, I suspect that Windows is attempting to use a generic driver for your Wireless, one that does not support the encryption you are using (this happened to me as well with a Linksys WUSB54G). You need to go to the manufacture's website and download the driver specific to your card/wireless dongle.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Rho » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:43 am

Well, the matter with the desktop and files seems to have pretty much resolved itself. All the files appear to be back, but the wallpaper and dock are reset, but those can be resolved very easily.

However, it still won't connect to the internet.

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:This is still on your iBook?

Yep.

Well, the date/time thing that you're talking about is the result of the internal battery dying. You see, there are two batteries in any device that keeps time (except for stuff like watches or clocks): one main battery that powers the entire device (this is the one that gets recharged, or in the case of a desktop, this is replaced by the cord leading to the outlet) and one smaller battery on the motherboard that keeps track of time. If the date/time gets reset like this always, then the internal battery has choked.

Crap. The battery's dying? This won't be cheap.

It doesn't happen like this always, just sometimes when I'll not plug the charger in on time and it'll drop to 0%.

I'm quite honestly still at a loss as to why your computer won't connect to the Internet. This sort of thing only happened to me once or twice, but never as frequently as this.

Same. It does not seem to be a matter of wether or not the password is correct, since I'll try the one I'm fairly certain is the right one, and then I'll try something I know isn't and it'll do the same. It loads for about 10 seconds or so, then says "Connection timeout"
The only solution I could think of would be to at least temporarily "unlock" the Airport so it doesn't need a password and hope that'll work. Do you know how I would do this?

How big is the screen on your iBook again? Just curious.

8 1/2 x 11 inches approx.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jazzy Josh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Rho wrote:Crap. The battery's dying? This won't be cheap.

Internal batteries cost like $5, you just have to figure out where to put them.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member