Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Activate iPod without iTunes?

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Activate iPod without iTunes?

Postby TheLQ » Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Today I have a new iPod, but browsing the internet tells me I need to activate it through iTunes. But I really don't want to install iTunes, it sucks and is huge. Is there a way to do it without installing it?

*pokes TLOAF
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon May 24, 2010 6:46 pm

No. iTunes is required for the activation process.

However, I know there are a few Windows programs that can copy music over to most iPods sans iTunes, but they require a little bit of tech know-how. But since you're you, that shouldn't be a concern. So once I find that book with said programs in it, I'll post links to them. Just download iTunes, activate it, and uninstall it. Simple as that.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby matsumo itsu » Mon May 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Odds are you will need to use Itunes as it says. Also TLOAF do I detect a hint of French within your sentence? "Sans" for example?

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon May 24, 2010 7:24 pm

kiichiro kusaki wrote:Odds are you will need to use Itunes as it says. Also TLOAF do I detect a hint of French within your sentence? "Sans" for example?

Yes, you do detect a hint of French. I'm taking the language.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Mon May 24, 2010 8:14 pm

It's Apple's method of locking you in to their music store. You must go through iTunes. I'm sure there is a way to activate it outside of iTunes but I wouldn't risk bricking it or voiding the warranty just for that.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Tue May 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Sigh. Well I went ahead and installed iTunes on my old desktop with limited RAM, and it of course starts 3 services: iPodService, AppleMobileDeviceService, and iTunesHelper. Freaking Autodesk Inventor, one of the largest and most expensive program's I've ever seen didn't install that many services. *shoots Apple

Thanks everyone for the help
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue May 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Think of it this way; now that the iPod is activated, you can uninstall iTunes and wait a little bit until I can find that book with the programs.

And on OS X, it only activates one process. Either it's yet another fact that iTunes is superior on OS X, or the seperate processes are conglomerated together in Activity Monitor.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jeremified » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 pm

In the future, you might want to try installing iTunes in a virtual Windows machine to register, then simply uninstalling the VM. No nasty services or registry values to deal with, unless the VM is equally bad (which won't be the case if you go with VirtualBox). Of course, this is about four times the effort, but if you really hate having to deal with the aftermath that much, it might be a viable choice.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 am

Fraxtil wrote:In the future, you might want to try installing iTunes in a virtual Windows machine to register, then simply uninstalling the VM. No nasty services or registry values to deal with, unless the VM is equally bad (which won't be the case if you go with VirtualBox). Of course, this is about four times the effort, but if you really hate having to deal with the aftermath that much, it might be a viable choice.

The issue is that I'm on an old P4 and half a gig of RAM. So VM's aren't an option
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter