Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am

Music Recovery Program~ HELPMEPLZ.

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Music Recovery Program~ HELPMEPLZ.

Postby Asantewaalrus » Wed May 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Awhile ago I accidentally formatted my percious MP3 player, taking my whole music library with it. For the past few months I've been trying to get it back but have failed.

Er, I've tried a few programs (an old version of RescuePro Deluxe and some useless freeware) but it either doesn't find all of the songs or ends up breaking them all up into several pieces. One program has worked (the newest version of RescuePro Deluxe) but it was only a trial version... meaning my excitement was short-lived.

I've been trying to find some cracked versions or some key-generators, but I'm not savvy in the more or less "illegal" works of the internet, at least when it comes to programs.

Help, anyone? I really need my music back, there's no way in hell I'm re-downloading 1,381 songs. D:<

Uh, if anyone knows of a program that works, by all means throw it my way.

And also... HEY GUYS. I MISS YOU.
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed May 19, 2010 6:30 pm

WELCOME BACK ASA

Do you have a backup of the music on another computer? That's the most logical solution to recovering everything.

If not, I'm going to assume that you're using your new Macbook for this. You said that you used RescuePro Deluxe to recover it, but it was a trial and no longer works. Therefore, I will teach you now how to get a trialware program in OS X to work past the trial expiration date.

1) Find out the company that made the software. You can do this on their website, or by looking at the "About RescuePro Deluxe" in the application menu. You'll need this for later (by that, I mean the next step).

2) Go into Finder, and open a new window. Open "Library" (remember, this is your home folder, not the root of the drive), and then open "Preferences"

3) You're going to see a bunch of files that are like com.apple.something.plist. These are preference files, which programs use for general user information storage. Whenever you install an app, it creates a plist file for it.

4) Go into the searchbar at the top of the window and type in (without the quotes) "com.companyname" in lowercase (or alternatively look for the file manually). Once you find a file that looks like it is associated with RescuePro, delete it. Empty the trash.

5) Relaunch the program. Chances are, it will launch like you've never opened the app before, which will allow you to recover more files.

6) Once you run out of time, rather, rinse, and repeat for the desired effect. Over time, you can recover your entire music library this way.

Of course, if you're running Windows, then this is completely pointless, but good to know nonetheless.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Thu May 20, 2010 7:54 am

If you've tried all these programs chances are that one of them have written to the drive completely destroying the data. And when you say "formatted", if you mean you formatted it to another file system (instead of just deleting the partition), you are screwed. Any filesystem (*chogh* NTFS and Ext* *cough*) write tons of stuff to the drive making file recovery futile.

But surely you have a backup of at least some of the music somewhere? If not then your going to just have to redownload them.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Asantewaalrus » Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Tha't's what everyone is saying, but I'm pretty sure it's running a FAT32 or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's not rewritten over completely because with the few programs I've tried, I've at least gotten a good chunk of the songs back.

As far as back-up goes, that was my back-up. At the time I didn't really have a time or a place to put my music library.
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member