Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

PowerPC into an Intel Mac?

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

PowerPC into an Intel Mac?

Postby Rho » Sun May 02, 2010 12:47 am

So, there are several programs, including Parallels Desktop, that I want to use... but apparently I need an "Intel" mac to run them. How do I convert it from PowerPC to Intel? Googled, found nothing.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 am

You'd need to get a new Mac.

Before 2005, all Macs had a special proprietary processor called PowerPC. Due to design issues with a new MacBook Pro model, Steve Jobs ordered the switch from PPC to some specially designed Intel processors for their new Macs. They've been using Intel ever since.

Sorry.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 am

I'm not even sure any OS's (even multiple versions of linux) support PowerPC anymore.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun May 02, 2010 10:55 am

Lord.Quackstar wrote:I'm not even sure any OS's (even multiple versions of linux) support PowerPC anymore.

Well you have Universal software, which is written to support both Intel and PPC, but thats beginning to fade as it becomes Intel only.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tangent128 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 pm

The Cell processor is actually PowerPC-based.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Rho » Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

....well crap

Is there any sort of Parallells Desktop-esque program I can use?
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

You have Microsoft's VirtualPC, but because it's an emulator rather than a virtualizer, it will run at the speed of slow. Besides, I don't even thing Microsoft distributes it anymore.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Thu May 13, 2010 1:01 am

Microsoft still distributes Virtual PC, it's gotten a bit better (USB support) and is the basis of Windows XP Mode. However, since we are talking about a Mac, Virtual Box by Sun/Oracle is probably the way to go. I'm not sure if VMWare works on Macs, but if it does, it's a nice, although expensive and better, alternative.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 am

Lyoko is Cool wrote:Microsoft still distributes Virtual PC, it's gotten a bit better (USB support) and is the basis of Windows XP Mode. However, since we are talking about a Mac, Virtual Box by Sun/Oracle is probably the way to go. I'm not sure if VMWare works on Macs, but if it does, it's a nice, although expensive and better, alternative.

VMware and Virtualbox are both virtualization programs, which require the VT-x component built into Intel chips. Virtual PC is an emulator, which doesn't require this technology.

Quite honestly, I'd either: purchase a new Mac, or get a fairly powerful PC and make it into a Hackintosh. (I'm probably going to do the latter now that I've discovered that Portal won't run on my MacBook's 2 year old integrated graphics card... which is unswappable...)
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Ah, I forgot that they require the virtualization function of CPUs to be turned on. And it probably is better to buy a new Mac than to stick with PowerPCs since Apple is starting to drop new features for PowerPC.

One thing I haven't got about Macs: To get a computer that has a good enough graphics card to run things like HL2 and Portal, you have to pay upwards of $2000 for a laptop at least.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Lyoko is Cool wrote:One thing I haven't got about Macs: To get a computer that has a good enough graphics card to run things like HL2 and Portal, you have to pay upwards of $2000 for a laptop at least.

Or, you can Hackintosh it. That's my alternative.
TheAppleFreak offline