Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

Computer problem

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Computer problem

Postby matsumo itsu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Okay lyokofreakians, I have a challenge for you, my computer just died, and was wondering if you could help.

DETAILS
I was playing a game when it suddenly crashed, tried to use the three finger salute(ctrl,alt,delete) and nothing happened, so i gave it a little while and tried again so nothing, decided to restart. Funny thing, now it won't turn on, it sounds like it's turning on but nothing appears on the monitor, so i click something on the monitor and it says no signal from computer press any key on the keyboard or mouse. But nothing does happen. What could be the cause of this?

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby knifey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Dead motherboard is the most likely case. Happened to two of my computers that I owned in the past.

You're better off getting a new computer, but you could try to find a local computer repair store, or a friend who may know how to repair computers if you really want to be sure what the real problem is. There's a small chance that the hard drive is broken instead of the motherboard.

If the hard drive is broken, it'll probably cost around 30-100 USD to fix the hard drive, depending on the size, or how much you're willing to spend on a new one. If the motherboard is broken, you'll have to buy a new one that can cost around 200-500 USD, depending on what kind of motherboard you're willing to spend.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby xiaozanghou » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Either dead motherboard or a failing power supply. Based on what you described, the hard drive is probably fine.
╭☆★☆
http://cl-evolved.com/
╰★☆★
xiaozanghou offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: they asked me where i planned to go then i pointed at the stars and said i haven't really chose

Postby matsumo itsu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Alright, and it better not be the power supply! just bought one about about a year ago, and didn't even use it really till about a month or two ago.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 pm

It sounds like a graphics card or power supply, but its hard to tell. Its like going to a mechanic and saying my car squeaks, whats wrong? There are 50,000 things that squeak on a car and just as many issues for a computer

I'm going to go for graphics card since you were playing a game at the time. Do you have integrated graphics or another video card that you can put in? If not, take the video card and put it in another computer, get it installed, and see if it works. If the graphics card dosen't work in another computer and/or your alternative graphics card works just fine, then its the card.

If not then it could be a power supply issue. Fiddle around with the power cords on the inside, maybe when you were playing your game you hit the case hard enough to unseat something. Also take out and reinsert anything that can be taken out. With luck this will be it.

Other than that your going to need to give it to a person that can actually touch and feel the system.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby matsumo itsu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

My sister believes it could be the video card, could the be a possibility?

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jeremified » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

That's definitely a possibility if the only problem is no video output, especially if the game you were playing used high-end graphics. Listen for your hard drive as you boot it up- on most computers, you can hear it doing things as it loads the OS. If you can't hear it, it's probably not your video card, but something more serious like the motherboard.

Alternatively, turn it on and wait a minute or two, then try pressing Caps Lock. If the keyboard says caps lock is on (via this or this light), your operating system loaded successfully and it's probably something minor (compared to a motherboard issue).
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

I would highly doubt that it would be the motherboard; random full motherboard failures are extremely rare unless someone was tinkering with the case or stick objects in holes that wern't met for them.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Slayer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am

I didn't read the entire first post but as far as i can tell it could be either a busted graphics card (and ive had them on bored as well so please don't say it cant be that), the cable from the monitor to computer is broken or the monitor has died.

Try a new monitor, if you don't have one im sure a friend has a computer with a working monitor so you could borrow it and try. If that doesn't work i think you would need a new graphics card.

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby matsumo itsu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:48 pm

should not be a monitor, got it just this Christmas.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Negi Springfield » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:20 am

In order for us to help you, you're gonna have to open in up and do some of the things suggested. If you don't feel comfortable opening it up, then you will need to get someone who does, and knows what they are doing. That's all I am gonna say.
Webmaster for the Code Lyoko Inc. Movie Website.
I am a cool guy most of the time.
ALL HAIL TL!!!!
Formerly danperteet.

Negi Springfield offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby matsumo itsu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 am

I'm planning on doing that, only problem is there are only two computers, and my dad works at night sleeps during the day, cuts wood on weekends. so that means if he doesn't cut wood one weekend that is my only time, luckily he doesn't think he has to saturday so we're planning on doing that then. I figured it is not the power supply like a friend thought. That leaves hard drive, mother board, and video card.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Just try doing it yourself. Almost anyone with a screw driver and some basic knowledge can do what we've recommended. If you don't feel comfortable find someone who is or take it to a computer repair store.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby matsumo itsu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Okay everyone, computer is fixed, want to know the solution? Well I do too, join the group, I had a thought if I tried it once more it may just work, tried turning it on and it worked, yet I never unplugged anything. started working about 3-4 days ago.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter