Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

Help in solving a disagreement

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

What was the CD-ROMs problem

Software
No votes
Hardware
100%

Total votes : 4

Help in solving a disagreement

Postby Gadget » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 am

Hello All, I have a very interesting topic and I figured I would ask everyone on here about.

Ok Let me start by saying I work a computer repair/service store.

My work day involves building computers, Rebuilding computers, Repairing computers, and General computer work.

Now you know where I work, here is the problem. I had a computer brought to me, the CD-ROM would not open, but if there is a CD in it works just fine. The owner of the store said it had to be a software problem, the head tech said it had to be hardware related. So we took the CD-ROM out and put a new one in and it did the same thing. Software right? Well we took the old CD-ROM and put it in another computer and it still does the same thing. Which would mean its hardware? Ok well the computer is going to be resold anyways so we go ahead and wipe it and put a fresh copy of XP on it. We put the old CD-ROM back in and it does the same thing. No matter how many CD-ROMs we try on the machine it does the same thing.

After all this the CD-ROM still doesn't work, and no one really knows what is causeing the issue, My next step will be to repalce the Motherboard. What do you all think, Is it software, or hardware?
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Slayer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am

I think it could be the little motor that makes the tray (im assuming its a tray drive) open and close in which case its hard wear, but it could also be the motherboard because of the other one not working. My third guess is that the power supply is dieing but once again you said that you tried it in a different computer so i would assume it might be all of the above.... hmm now im interested in this :P

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 am

Have you tried a CD that you know works in other computers? Could be BOTH the CD drive and the CD itself thats broken.

And it wouldn't be a power supply unless the one cable going to the CD drives was broke. If it was the power supply then nothing would work right.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 am

I'd say that maybe it's neither, but rather a firmware issue, but the first one coughed in the other computer, right? It's possible there are problems in the controllers for the first drive and issues with the power supply/BIOS, but I don't know enough about computers to give any more help than this.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

You first need to isolate the problem Gadget. To add to my previous post put in a CD drive that works into the broken computer and see if it still does. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with that computer. Then take the broken CD drive and put it into a computer that works. If it doesn't then something is wrong with the CD drive. Then take the CD and put it into a computer that works. If it doesn't then something is wrong with the CD. Do this, then restate your question.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter