Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Programmer Thread

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Whats your favorite?

PHP
67%
Javascript
No votes
C and any derivatives (C++, C+, C#)
No votes
Ruby
No votes
Python
No votes
Perl
No votes
Java
No votes
Lua
No votes
Visual Basic
No votes
BASIC and I'm a noob
17%
Delphi
No votes
SQL (technically a programming language)
No votes
ActionScript (for you Flash guys)
17%

Total votes : 6

Programmer Thread

Postby TheLQ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Due to the lack of discussion in this forum...

I'm curious to how many programmers we have here on Lyokofreak. I've heard people talk about PHP, C, ruby, but I don't know if those people have actually used those languages or how many.

READ BEFORE POLLING: HTML is NOT a programming language, its a MARKUP languages. Consult the following list for more description

Markup Languages - "Programs" that do not make decisions. They simply format the text to a different way. Keywords: Tags, markup, *ML
Examples:
-BBcode
-HTML
-CSS
-JSON
-XML

Programming Languages - Programs that make decisions. If this, do this; else do this. Keywords: If...else, looping, conditional statements, etc
Examples
-PHP
-Java
-C++
-Ruby
-Python
-Javascript
-Perl
-Actionscript
-And many many more

NOTE: If your language is not listed, tell me and I will add it.

Personally I like PHP. Simple, easy to learn, gets the job done. For desktop apps I like Java but am trying to learn Python. I'm not too familiar with any other desktop languages since I was a web programmer for a long time. In webland I can write HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, and ASP (unfortunately)
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:23 pm

I can write a fair bit of HTML and a little bit of Javascript. Later, when I begin serious work as a developer, I'm going to focus primarily on Objective C for OS X and Java for cross-platform compatibility.

Right now, I'm also doing quite a bit of work in the FireRed scripting language and I'm learning ASM for the THUMB7.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Negi Springfield » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I like php, but I am a noob at it. Still learning exactly how everything works together.
Webmaster for the Code Lyoko Inc. Movie Website.
I am a cool guy most of the time.
ALL HAIL TL!!!!
Formerly danperteet.

Negi Springfield offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Jeremified » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 pm

Unfortunately, all I really know is PHP. I've picked up BASIC too. I want to learn Python and maybe even Haskell, but I've never had the motivation to do so.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jazzy Josh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

Java only right now, but I'm planning to eventually learn C and C++, possibly Python.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby ccbtimewiz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:12 pm

PHP is one of my personal favorites. :)
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 pm

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:I can write a fair bit of HTML and a little bit of Javascript. Later, when I begin serious work as a developer, I'm going to focus primarily on Objective C for OS X and Java for cross-platform compatibility.

Right now, I'm also doing quite a bit of work in the FireRed scripting language and I'm learning ASM for the THUMB7.

C in any of its forms is not very cross compatible. You have to be managing a different program for Windows and how ever many distro's of linux you want to support. That would get really complex for support.

Java is very powerful and very cross compatible, but the JVM is a little slow, especially on older computers. Its also a horribly complex language.

---

For everyone else, Python seems highly recommended. If you know Java, just remove the parenthesis and thats the syntax, unlike Ruby which is... *cringes

Why is php so popular?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jeremified » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:Why is php so popular?

The fact that it's easy to learn probably makes it a good choice among newbies. Most other programming languages are harder to pick up, despite being more powerful once learnt to be used correctly.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:
TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:I can write a fair bit of HTML and a little bit of Javascript. Later, when I begin serious work as a developer, I'm going to focus primarily on Objective C for OS X and Java for cross-platform compatibility.

C in any of its forms is not very cross compatible. You have to be managing a different program for Windows and how ever many distro's of linux you want to support. That would get really complex for support.

Java is very powerful and very cross compatible, but the JVM is a little slow, especially on older computers. Its also a horribly complex language.

I didn't mean that I was using C for cross compatibile; I was using it primarily for OS X. I ws going to use Java for cross compatibility.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby jym1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 pm

I've got some very basic skills in Perl.
I wish I had picked up a C language or PHP...
some time in the future, when I win the lotto and have oodles of time, I will teach myself those languages...or what ever happens to be most useful at the time
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid