Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Need help repairing NTFS partition

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Need help repairing NTFS partition

Postby Slayer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey, i have a 120 gig IDE external hard drive with a copy of a 120 gig SATA drive on it that some how got corrupt and is being blamed on me and i was given the job of fixing it but i have no idea how. Has any one got any knowledge of any software or anything like that that could repair the NTFS file system?

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Jeremified » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Try chkdsk, for starters.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Slayer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Yeah that was my first idea but the damn computer is picking it up as a unknown partition, Linux doesn't even pick it up and because Microsoft are stingy mac cant write to it.

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 am

If you were attempting to write to it, you might want to try Paragon's NTFS-3G. It's a read-write filesystem for OS X; only problem is, I don't know how well it is when it comes to recovering data. You might want to search around for either free- or trialware; demo- and crippleware would only force you to pay money for something you'll prolly use only once.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 am

You can try to see if it mounts in Ubuntu Linux, it has that NTFS-3G driver nativity. Linux has alot of weird commands that can repair partions. You can also try googling around for ntfs partion recovery.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jazzy Josh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

Dante: by not picking it up do you mean not mounting it, or is in not listed as a partition in /dev/ ?

If the block device is listed, there should be some command to re-write the partiton headers of the NTFS partition, but I can think of any right now, unless mkntfs has a mode for that.

Definitely try the above options first, try to save the data. if you can recover the drive without losing all of the data, then great, you don't have to worry, but if it doesn't at least you should have some sort of backup to rely on.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 am

hang on a sec, you said that one drive was a copy of the other right? So why not recreate the partition and recopy everything? Much simpler than partition recovery
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Slayer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

@Lyoko is cool, yeah it wont mount.

@Lord.Quackstar it is a copy of the other drive after it was made un-readable.

And now my own note, im trying to make an image of it so that i can just tinker with that with out any chance of loss of data. That way if i find something that works i can do that to the drive.

Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 pm

OMG

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ntfs+partition+recovery
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ntfs+file+recovery

Please click those links

I also found http://www.dtidata.com/ntfs_partition_repair.htm, might be very helpful.

And good luck trying to manage a 120 GB raw image file. I would first look into cloning/mirroring instead of trying to manage that
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Slayer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 am

Lord.Quackstar wrote:OMG

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ntfs+partition+recovery
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ntfs+file+recovery

And good luck trying to manage a 120 GB raw image file. I would first look into cloning/mirroring instead of trying to manage that

I tried both of them on the image i made and i have a terabyte drive that only has been partitioned for 500 gig so i got more than enough room :P

Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid