Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Happy Late Birthday, Internet

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Can you live without the Internet?

Yes
22%
No, why would you ask such a thing?
78%

Total votes : 9

Happy Late Birthday, Internet

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:32 am

For those of you who are not aware, the Internet celebrated it's fortieth birthday yesterday. According to PCWorld (yes, I follow their feeds in addition to MacNN, MacRumors, and MacWorld), some dude named Leonard Kleinrock was trying to set up a time server between two computers. He typed in "login", but the server crashed after the two letters were sent.

And now, since that fateful day, look at where we are now. If it wasn't for lo, I wouldn't be typing this message at the moment from my OS X netbook. This forum would not exist, none of us would know each other, and so on and so forth.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby jym1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 pm

this reminds me of the 6 month or so old issue of pop-sci that I just finished reading that spoke about how data is transferred between countries, and routed to ISPs.

it's amazing how far we've come...but yet how fragile the system is. I bet one day with no internet in the world and things would come to a pretty fast halt.
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:08 am

I'm taking Networking in school right now.

The IP stack is actually pretty elegant.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SearchingLyoko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:33 pm

The internet is quite amazing, and unlike most things in our world, is here to stay.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Re: Happy Late Birthday, Internet

Postby Slayer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:37 am

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:And now, since that fateful day, look at where we are now. If it wasn't for lo, I wouldn't be typing this message at the moment from my OS X netbook. This forum would not exist, none of us would know each other, and so on and so forth.

Just addin to the forum part, even if here was such a way for it to exist it still probably wouldent because code lyoko was probably thought up with an idea of some how haveing XANA get on the net further on. And there's also the digital sea AKA a way to access the net.

Wait I was taught and didn't realy beleve this but I was taught at school was that the Internet wAs origenly made to send information to the American or Russian defence force, then later on some one thought "hey this is capable of so much more!" Please correct me if I was miss informed.

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby SearchingLyoko » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 am

Actually the original concept was invented by CERN.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned