Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Best place to learn C

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Best place to learn C

Postby Slayer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Are there any particularly good website tutorial that could help me learn c programing? The only partial programing i have done is batch and bash scripting so im still rely new at all of this.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Is this for that IBM competition? 'Cuz I'm entering in it.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Slayer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm

no, i just wana learn how to program. i dont enter competitions anymore. Wait a minuet your lord of apple freaks why the hell are you entering a IBM competition?
Last edited by Slayer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 pm

IBM made PowerPC chips.

Anyways, Google, Wikipedia, etc. might help a little.

A few helpful notes:

* C source files that you compile usually end in .c
* A compiler takes the files and turns the functions into machine code in an object file, ending in .o- but these files only have the functions you define. The functions that you use in these functions aren't in there yet, so the program can't be run.
* A program called the linker takes the .o files, as well as library files containing standard functions, and puts all the functions you need into a program. Which ends in .exe on Windows, or nothing on Linux.

Ask any specific questions, and I'll try to answer.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 pm

*pukes at the thought of c

Why the crap do you want to learn C? C is so complimicated. Other languages are built in C. In fact, alot of languages are out there trying to replace C due to their much simpler syntax and style.

I'm not much of a desktop programmer, but why not look into python or java (last resort. The JVM is very resource consuming and is generally slow. Good language to know though)? There much easier to use, and can still do everything C does.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 pm

phoenix544 wrote:no, i just wana learn how to program. i dont enter competitions anymore. Wait a minuet your loard of apple freaks why the hell are you entering a IBM competition?

It's a competition that IBM is hosting to help find developers for mainframe systems, and there's a programming portion of the contest. I'm gunning for it because it'll help me become a dev for Apple in the future. Not to mention, senior year I'm taking a course in Java programming and having a background in C can help a lot.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tangent128 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm

OS X programming is fundamentally C, yeah- the Objective-C wrapper, particularly.

It's not really complicated compared to other languages, but core C is more minimalist- it doesn't do as much for you.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jazzy Josh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am

Lord.Quackstar wrote:*pukes at the thought of c

Why the crap do you want to learn C? C is so complimicated. Other languages are built in C. In fact, alot of languages are out there trying to replace C due to their much simpler syntax and style.

I'm not much of a desktop programmer, but why not look into python or java (last resort. The JVM is very resource consuming and is generally slow. Good language to know though)? There much easier to use, and can still do everything C does.

Ahead of time, necropost, sorry.

Your question should be "Why the crap wouldn't you want to learn C". I may not know C yet, but I'm sure that by the time I get through college, that I will know C. I may not use it much, but each programming language has its purpose. C is good for a lot of things. Many of the UNIX and Linux tools (rm, cd, make, bash) are written in C.

To answer phoenix's question:
The C Programming Language

Joel on Software:
One of the most misguided ideas in programming pedagogy is the idea that you have to seduce people into programming by starting with simple, fun, graphical stuff. Some people think that the best way to learn programming is to start with HTML, maybe, and then learn how to cut and paste some javascripts, and then move on. Another misconception is that you should start with a trendy, marketable programming skill like Java or Web Database Programming.

Well, those people are wrong.

For various reasons too complicated to go into here, I believe that you have to start programming at a level that is as close to the machine as reasonable. I think that this book, universally known as K&R, is THE book anyone who wants to be a programmer must learn first. Pick it up and work through it in detail. If you love every minute of it, you can be a programmer. If you find this old-school text programming stuff boring, or the pointer stuff drives you crazy, trust me, you're not going to like programming very much. If you need to be seduced into programming or if you don't have the patience to figure out what all those crazy asterisks mean, you're going to be happier doing something else. Really. But if you can make it through this book by yourself, you've got what it takes to be a top gun programmer, and you've got a terrific foundation for everything else you're going to learn.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member