Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

K'SO I NEEDS NEW LAPTOP. HELP PLZ?

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

K'SO I NEEDS NEW LAPTOP. HELP PLZ?

Postby Asantewaalrus » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Talked it over with my Mom, she doesn't give a flying [insert dirty word here] how I spend my money, as long as I put it to good use, ha-ha. I'm a frugal little [insert dirty word here], the rare not-so-huge splurge is good... I guess.

I've been looking around high and low for laptops while I set aside money for the day I finally crawl into the world and—gasp!—purchase one.

I've had my eyes on an Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro; currently using a prehistoric iBook G3.

I'm sort of unsure which laptop to buy—the expensive, high-end Macbook Pro or the simple, cute, tiny Macbook. The laptop is going to be used for a lot of things—amateur video-editing, photo-editing (coloring, inking, etc.), writing, schoolwork, and web browsing to name a few. Occasionally game-play and, er, if I decide against portable hard drives, I might store a lot of music on it.

Thinking of buying an external hard drive, though.

So, uh, anyone have any suggestions? I don't plan on getting a PC so…

Also, no, I don't plan on taking the time to screw around with a netbook or notebook to make it run OS X, ohgawd no.

Anyway.

Budget: $900-$1500

Thanks lots, I love you guys so much. .__.
Last edited by Asantewaalrus on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:35 pm

For your budget, I'd recommend a 13 or 15" MacBook Pro. Currently, they pack quite some punch for the money, but I'd wait. Speculation is that at some time inj the near future, Apple's gonna update the MacBook line, with significant price cuts.

And, I'd also recommend a tablet. Wacom recently refreshed the Bamboo line of tablets, and they're cheap, but really good. I own one, and I highly recommend it.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Or you could save a few hundred dollars and buy a decent non-apple laptop.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:Or you could save a few hundred dollars and buy a decent non-apple laptop.

I tend to agree with this. Is there a particular reason why you have so firmly decided to go with Mac? If you're truly worried about buying expensive things, PCs are cheaper and frankly they can do all that Macs can.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Asantewaalrus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:05 am

SilverPrince wrote:
Lord.Quackstar wrote:Or you could save a few hundred dollars and buy a decent non-apple laptop.

I tend to agree with this. Is there a particular reason why you have so firmly decided to go with Mac? If you're truly worried about buying expensive things, PCs are cheaper and frankly they can do all that Macs can.

Just a warning.
I'm ass-tired, my reasoning sucks at one in the morning.

Hm, I wouldn't call my decision firm, I'd just say I've grown to like Apple computers. I like PCs too, and I've used them all my life, but Macs are just comfortable for me.

I can't really back that up with anything else--I like them, for a lot of reasons, ha-ha. It might be the shallow reasons ("They're pretty!" or "They're different and new to me!") or even the not-so-shallow ("[Insert Non-Shallow Reason]." or "[Insert Another Non-Shallow Reason]!")

I worry over petty things, and ultimately I'll be buying something I like and have been wanting for a long time.

So, uh...

Damn, I'm tired. D ;
I can't think straight.

I'll end this childishly saying "ASA WANT MAC, ASA GET MAC."

Still debating on Pro or 'Book, though.
Siigggghhhh.

Maybe I should move this to the Macfourm place that, like, doesn't like me. : /
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby SilverPrince » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, T-Loaf is the resident mac expert. I would go with his advice.

PS I love your signature. Mainly the part where you quote me.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:20 pm

idkmybffasantewaa wrote:
SilverPrince wrote:

Just a warning.
I'm ass-tired, my reasoning sucks at one in the morning.

Hm, I wouldn't call my decision firm, I'd just say I've grown to like Apple computers. I like PCs too, and I've used them all my life, but Macs are just comfortable for me.

I can't really back that up with anything else--I like them, for a lot of reasons, ha-ha. It might be the shallow reasons ("They're pretty!" or "They're different and new to me!") or even the not-so-shallow ("[Insert Non-Shallow Reason]." or "[Insert Another Non-Shallow Reason]!")

I worry over petty things, and ultimately I'll be buying something I like and have been wanting for a long time.

So, uh...

Damn, I'm tired. D ;
I can't think straight.

I'll end this childishly saying "ASA WANT MAC, ASA GET MAC."

Still debating on Pro or 'Book, though.
Siigggghhhh.

Maybe I should move this to the Macfourm place that, like, doesn't like me. : /

I can understand. Many people hate windows because its made by microsoft, or they just don't like buisness practices, or think the gui is crap, etc. However, with a budget that low you do have another option: Linux.

Since it appears that you like OS X only for its gui, you could get a OS X skin for ubuntu linux, or use gOS which has a mac-ish feel. You could then get a cheep laptop or even a netbook (although i'd highly not recommend you getting a netbook) without windows, put linux on there, and your done. Your saving a few hundred dollars from not getting windows, not getting office, not paying for antivirus (which by they way: OS X has been proven to be considerably easier to hack into than windows vista), not paying for almost any program, etc

Linux is build on the same code OS X is build on, so they share common ground. The \ filesystem is still there, you still have repositories, you still can build programs from source, still use almost all the same terminal commands, etc. Linux though has many advantages including much bigger repositories, much better software support, completely open source and built by the community, good free support, and is generally better. And linux can be tweaked to look exactly like OS X. One of my friends even modified ubuntu to look exactly like Windows 98 so his grandma didn't have to learn a completely different operating system.

As i said earlier, taking this route, especially dumping windows for linux, can net you a much more powerful laptop for the same price, this being helped from the fact that 2 systems identical in specs but one being made by apple and the other some other company, the other companies laptop will be alot cheaper. Look around. I'm no linux expert, i'm only an intermediate. Ask around, surly someone on this forum is a linux expert.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 pm

A Linux system requires a lot of TLC, keep in mind- they're getting slightly better, though.

My sister got a Macbook Pro (I think it's a pro, anyways...) for college, and she seems to like it a lot. We got the highest-end one we could, both because she's in film school and because it keeps longer that way. But Macs are generally good about having long lifespans, anyways.

Also, the MacBook has the only remotely decent trackpad I've seen. Multitouch scrolling is a nice touch.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Tangent128 wrote:A Linux system requires a lot of TLC, keep in mind- they're getting slightly better, though.

My sister got a Macbook Pro (I think it's a pro, anyways...) for college, and she seems to like it a lot. We got the highest-end one we could, both because she's in film school and because it keeps longer that way. But Macs are generally good about having long lifespans, anyways.

Also, the MacBook has the only remotely decent trackpad I've seen. Multitouch scrolling is a nice touch.

Since idkmybffasantewaa is comming from mac, it shouldn't be that much of a change. Just essentially a new interface.

And how much did that high end macbook pro cost? How much does an equivalent laptop from dell or alienware cost?

I can sorta agree that macs have a longer lifespan, but thats because apple's standard is really high quality, which in turn costs more.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Asantewaalrus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 pm

You know, on and off I've considered Linux, and it is free and you're able to smack it onto just about anything. I was thinking about putting it on my old laptop simply because I'd finally have an up-to-date system, but...

Yes, the TLC, I'm not the most maternal girl around, flesh our a crapload of chips and ram. I've read into Linux a little bit, and it seems like it would take some time, patience, and general ability to do some trial and error to get it working properly.

I dunno, I'm still in the thinking process, I know people who use all of the systems so I'm asking around, trying to see the pros and cons of each, ha-ha.

Windows would be the very last resort, so it's either Linux or OS X.

Siggghh, but the only thing beating against Linux is, y'know, getting it on its feet, OS X has price on it's rear (which I'm slowly worrying less about, Mom finally got back on her feet recently) and Windows just all over the place.

-stabs something-

Oh! Thank you guys, by the way. : 3
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:25 am

idkmybffasantewaa wrote:You know, on and off I've considered Linux, and it is free and you're able to smack it onto just about anything. I was thinking about putting it on my old laptop simply because I'd finally have an up-to-date system, but...

Yes, the TLC, I'm not the most maternal girl around, flesh our a crapload of chips and ram. I've read into Linux a little bit, and it seems like it would take some time, patience, and general ability to do some trial and error to get it working properly.

I dunno, I'm still in the thinking process, I know people who use all of the systems so I'm asking around, trying to see the pros and cons of each, ha-ha.

Windows would be the very last resort, so it's either Linux or OS X.

Siggghh, but the only thing beating against Linux is, y'know, getting it on its feet, OS X has price on it's rear (which I'm slowly worrying less about, Mom finally got back on her feet recently) and Windows just all over the place.

-stabs something-

Oh! Thank you guys, by the way. : 3

OS X. You can't go wrong with a MB or MBP. The MBA isn't my preferred choice; it's the odd laptop out of the bunch. Sure, it has portability, but it's underpowered in my opinion. Plus, my OS X netbook can do almost everything it can do, sans 100% working sound. And the occasional kernel panic.

I've fooled around with Linux; it's pretty cool. But as someone said, it requires TLC, and that takes away from its merits of being free. Plus, unless you're just using it for word processing and browsing the internet, I don't know of any programs that make the Linux experience worthwhile. (VMware virtual machine emulation is rather cool, as they have a Linux port... but I digress)

Another way to save money would be to buy a refurbished Mac. That alone can save a couple bucks here or there, and you still get a full warranty and the awesome new Mac smell!

I was reading a MacWorld article recently that said that the true Mac experience isn't because of the tight integration between the included programs; it's really about the wealth of third-party programs which do everything (or nothing) that you could dream of!
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:28 am

Okay, Asa, the rumor mill is spitting stuff out again.

According to MacRumors, Apple's updating their entire low-end computer line.
With numerous reports in recent weeks of new hardware releases from Apple and low stocks of a number of current-generation models, Apple watchers have been waiting on edge for new products to make their appearance. Attention has naturally focused on Tuesdays, a frequent day of the week for Apple to release new products, so speculation has been on the increase again today.

Earlier today, Newsweek's Dan Lyons issued a teaser post on his "Fake Steve Jobs" blog claiming that Apple is planning a product release tomorrow and poking fun at Daring Fireball's John Gruber, who has occasionally had accurate inside information just prior to product announcements.
Can't tell you what, obviously. But there's something brewing. Gruber doesn't know about it, but the people we care about are being briefed in advance. Stay close to your Mac or iPhone, and have your credit card ready.

Gruber later responded with a brief post carrying a very lengthy headline listing a multitude of new products possibly on the table for release tomorrow:

- Redesigned plastic MacBooks
- Redesigned "impressive" iMacs
- Mac mini updates, including one based on Mac OS X Server
- Multi-touch "Magic Mouse"
- A multi-touch "trackpad gadget" for desktop Macs

MacRumors has similarly heard whispers over the past few days of new iMacs, MacBooks, and possibly Mac minis scheduled for release tomorrow, but we have been unable to confirm any of the reports.

Original post: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors-of-new-apple-hardware-tomorrow-swirling/
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Strike what I said in the previous post.
The updates have come TODAY. They're currently on the online Apple Store.
I'm checking them out right now...
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:22 pm

To get linux working would NOT be hard at all. Their is no TLC, no extreamly hard upgrade process nothing. Everything is simple. And BTW, if its on a mac, then it can be put on linux, since they have the same base. Even if theirs not a deb package for you, you can still build from source. Not that hard. The only thing that would make it hard is if you wanting to make GNOME look like osx, but i'm sure someone already has a skin for that.

I would be willing to help you in the upgrade process. Its really all not that hard. Download and burn the disk iso, install (not technical at all), install all your software you NEED from the repository (open sympatic, search, install, apply), make sure you hardware works, and your done. From my experience with fresh Windowz xp install's, getting linux working takes half the time that windows does. And alot of stuff is automated.

Advantages of linux:
-No viruses (mac has viruses, not as much as windows does)
-Much better software support (if its on linux or windows, it can run)
-Easier interface
-Smartly organized menu’s
-Generally better experence.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter