Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

Wireless trouble

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Wireless trouble

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I don't know why this is happening, but it is. I'll backtrack a little...
A few days ago, Con Ed came over to our house to replace a faulty power line that had been giving us trouble for quite some time. I was playing a network game of Halo: Combat Evolved on my MacBook when they disconnected the power to our house. When they reconnected the power, I took my laptop up to my room on the third floor and tried to connect to the internet. The computer would connect to our wireless network, but all attempts to connect to the Internet from my room would fail. I would be able to successfully connect from the second floor, however, and browse the web at normal speeds. As I type this message, I have Mac OS X's Network Diagnostics program open, and only until recently did the indicator lights for ISP, Internet, and Server become a steady green. Before, the indicators would constantly flash between red and green. Although once it secures a connection it works at full speed and efficiency, it is rather bothersome to have to wait 5-10 minutes to use the Internet.

Could it be an issue with DHCP? Should I renew the lease?

Oh, and just to clarify, I am typing this message on my netbook in the exact same room as my MacBook, on the third floor. Both computers are running Mac OS X, version 10.5.8, with all of the latest updates and system-specific patches.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Jeremified » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:37 pm

the solution is clearly to get windows
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Fraxtil wrote:the solution is clearly to get windows

Look at his name: TheAppleFreak. Do you honestly thing he's going to get Windows? A flavor of linux maybe, but not windows.

While i'm not too familiar with bash or network diagnostics on Macs, i'd first check the router. Make sure all the settings are correct. Then renew your ip and flush your DNS cache. Check your adapter and make sure the settings on it are correct. Try running Halo again and see if it resets your settings.

Worst case senario is that if you have a full drive backup or the Mac version of System restore in windows, roll back to that time.

Hope this helps!
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:41 pm

I don't think so. Regardless, my current install of Windoze XP bluescreens at boot, and my install of 7 is a VM.

Oh, and I think I should mention that I'm currently running our network on an Apple Time Capsule, previous gen, 1 TB HD.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jeremified » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:

Look at his name: TheAppleFreak. Do you honestly thing he's going to get Windows? A flavor of linux maybe, but not windows.
Yes, that's the joke. ._.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:Try running Halo again and see if it resets your settings.

It's not just Halo, it's Internet in general. Neither Firefox nor Safari nor Opera load pages in the first 10 minutes of activity. But yeah, I'll release and renew the IP address. Thanks!
TheAppleFreak offline