Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

Windows 7

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

What will windows 7 be?

It will be Great
23%
It will be alright
46%
It will Be another vista
No votes
It will be worse then vista
8%
Windows sucks, Mac is better
15%
Windows sucks, Linux is better
8%
Microsoft will go out of business before it is released
No votes
Microsoft will go out of business after it is released
No votes

Total votes : 13

Windows 7

Postby Gadget » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 am

I thought I would bring up the topic.

I was in the check out line at best buy and I noticed a big yellow magazine that said “Windows 7, Vistas finale fixâ€
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:27 am

I'd consider trying it... on its own partition, naturally.

But a 2GB download? I'll need to use a lab computer for that... the dorm connections are metered (5GB/month).

Anyways, I'm in the minority for finding Vista to be an improvement. Then again, for me it was SP1 preinstalled. Still, Vista takes some good ideas from Unixy systems.

Windows 7 is supposed to be leaner, I hear. Maybe they use an initrd-type system? I dunno. I'll try to try it, I guess.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ccbtimewiz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:08 pm

/voted.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Well, I have it running. So far, so good. It'll be a bit before I'm versed enough to vote, though.

New taskbar's nice, at least. Draws some inspiration from the Dock, but handles it differently. No more Quick Launch; rather, you "pin" a program to the taskbar. If it's open, all is normal. Else, when you close the last window it stays as an icon.

Oh, you can also maximize a window by dragging it to the top of the screen.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:28 pm

LOL at hearing this 2 months ago in pc world magazine

I think it would be better due to it not needing such a powerful computer. But i think with vista being the failure that it is, i don't think people are going to embrace it quickly.

The problem with vista is people look at minimum requirements (which aren't really the absolute minimum) and say "crap, i don't have x and y. This sucks." Or they instal vista, try it for 2 days, and say "This sucks, its so slow." Maybe if you disabled unneeded stuff it would be faster! This is the same on xp, remove this and that, get rid of excess services, and you have a really fast xp.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 pm

7 claims to want a 16GB partition, but I've had no issues tonight running it on a 10GB one. (The install takes 7.5GB.)

Of course, System Restore is off, and I'm running my programs off my Vista partition.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Ok, it is official. The underworld has frozen over.
I have downloaded and acquired a valid product key of the Windows 7 public beta.
But it's not that I am switching. I am going to use it briefly to see
a) how many sys resources it uses,
b) how much it stole from Mac
c) how suckish it is in general.
I waited for the 2.5 GB file to download over my slow internet connection all night, and it's on my desktop!
<s>I need to install it first before I vote.</s>
Strike that; never looked at the options. I'm voting for the one with "Windows sucks; Mac is better"
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:57 pm

a) how many sys resources it uses,

Supposedly, it's better than Vista. Mind you, my computer ran Vista smoothly, so I can't tell if there's a speedup there or not.

b) how much it stole from Mac

Well... you'll love the <s>Dock</s> Taskbar.

c) how suckish it is in general.

It's a step in the right direction, at least.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sciron » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm waiting...somewhat warily. (Warily, not paranoid, though.) But I do hope that Windows 7 will be better than Vista, if anything to convince my family to get it for our computer. x.x (It's not my computer, and I don't have the mind to start saving up for one or ask my parents for my own computer.) (Mostly cuz I had to get a Mac through school, so I doubt my parents would give me TWO computers of my own.)

While I AM just fine with XP, I'm hoping that Windows 7 will be better. *crosses fingers*
Sciron offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Location: Stop stalking me, and then maybe I'll tell you...NOT.

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm

OK
I haven't had much time recently, but I began installing 7 in a VM. VMware says it's Vista, and PC World has also said the same thing. (Weird)
It's nearly done; more details to come.
UPDATE:

Ok, nearly a minute after I posted last, it finished, and it's setting up initial use.
The startup animation is nice, but too... I dunno what the word is... shiny for my liking. It shines too much and takes away style points.

The OS has booted up.
The Taskbar looks a lot like the Tiger Dock. Yet to install certain components for virtualization use. *shrugs*

Ok, after installing VMware Tools, the virtual screen flickered for about 10 seconds, but it looks OK now. I'm currently installing McAffee in the VM.

Says that this version of McAffee isn't compatible with 7, but I'm clicking out of it. VMware Fusion's Unity looks pretty perdy in 7, but it doesn't have Dock icons for running programs.

Still installing antivirus, but I can live with that. MY fan is currently getting louder, probably from loading two OSs at once.

Finally! Finished installing antivirus; I've yet to explore new features. It is behaving better than Vista did for me in the past, or my copy of XP.
I've yet to reprogram it so it's more suited to my tastes.

I'm rebooting to update the beta. IExplore8 is actually working better than I thought it would.
I still need to make it more me-ish (desktop background, theme files, etc.)
Last edited by TheAppleFreak on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Screenshot? I didn't think Aero worked in a VM...
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Uh, sure.
I'll load one up on my DA account once I actually reboot the VM.
Here at school, I can't remote desktop my Mac, so u'll have to wait.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14 pm

I've run Windows 7 in a VM (Virtual PC) I liked it. ran slow, but meh, like I said a VM. I want to try it on some good hardware, but don't have any to put it on. As to VMWare calling it Vista, the installer itself states that it's Vista. MS probably just re-used the installer code. As a side note, Windows 7 isn't even going to advance the kernel version to 7, it will still be major version number 6, not user of the minor number, probably 5, though

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Okay, I know I'm really, really late to do this, but I'm finally installing the Windows 7 final on my netbook (just came back from Dell today).

Chameleon gave me two options for Windows drives, so that got a little confusing choosing which drive to boot into. Got it on the first try, though.

Startup was uneventful, said it was loading files and whatnot. No flashy Windows logo. Just a startup bar.

Loaded a generic video card driver; tap-to-click touchpad driver works as expected.

Erasing my current XP partition... reformatting took a few seconds. Probably just erased the partition map or something. *shrugs*

Install is starting... Wow, it copied those files fast.

Expanding, on the other hand... I figure it'll expand everything in about 5 minutes.

Okay... about four minutes later, it's at 86%. Looking good so far.

Two minutes later, it gets to 100%. Installing features went by fast, and currently installing updates. Completed nearly instantly.

Restart... NOW!

Huh... disabled Chameleon AGAIN. Ugh; it was a pain to get it to play fair with XP when I initially installed it.

Starting services... and completing installation. Very descriptive.

Screen flickered, and now has the correct resolution! Still completing installation.

Ah, finished installation. Says install will continue after reboot. Yep, doesn't want to play fair with Chameleon. That is certainly annoying.

Prepping computer for first use... checking vid performance... and I'm at the user setup screen! Pretty little animation played at the bottom... sorta like OS X's amazing Arabesque screensaver.

Setting up... huh. My backspace key is slightly stuck. Weird.

Entered product key and am trying to activate... Spinning wheel.

Just finished that, set Windows to default privacy settings.

Finalizing settings... Backspace is still stuck.

Screen faded, it says "Welcome," froze briefly, waiting.... (I know, I like ellipseses)

Wow, working sound card and video driver! Even though it's Windows, I'm impressed with its driver support. Even more impressive, Aero works right out of the box!

Wow... trying to customize the thing, and it's already asking me to upgrade to something better, as in Ultimate. Need to fix backspace.

Downloading drivers. Boring process... really, really boring.

So, I ran the Windows update util, nothing special there. Customized IE8, somewhat fixed the backspace key. Not much new.

Setting it up to more accurately reflect my interests. Aero Flip is really, really cool. But it doesn't offer much more than Alt-Tab does.

So... yeah.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Jeremified » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Windows 7 was a pleasant surprise, considering how Vista turned out. I had problems with my wireless receiver and monitor, but the monitor problems are fixed now, and the Internet problems aren't Microsoft's fault to begin with. Aside from that everything is just dandy. I'm still using Ubuntu primarily, though, because I can't go without a fully functional Internet connection.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby jym1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm still stuck on XP, but I'm not dreading too much the eventual and inevitable switch (when I get a new comp)
I'm actually exited about the touch capabilities.

the only thing I'm dreading is having to find exes for all my programs again (program by program) especially a lot of the freeware ones that were made for XP and not updated for 7.

some day I want to feel comfortable with linux and be able to use it as my primary OS. But again, the main thing stopping me is my love for freeware which is often programed for windows
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Jeremified » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:57 am

jym1 wrote:some day I want to feel comfortable with linux and be able to use it as my primary OS. But again, the main thing stopping me is my love for freeware which is often programed for windows

One word: WINE. This thing runs a good number of Windows apps, as long as they aren't designed to modify Windows in some way (I doubt WindowBlinds would work with it).
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:40 am

Fraxtil wrote:
jym1 wrote:some day I want to feel comfortable with linux and be able to use it as my primary OS. But again, the main thing stopping me is my love for freeware which is often programed for windows

One word: WINE. This thing runs a good number of Windows apps, as long as they aren't designed to modify Windows in some way (I doubt WindowBlinds would work with it).

Heck, WINE is God. I use it to <s>slack off in class and edit my Pokemon game</s> run Advance Map <s>in class</s> so I can make my game.
TheAppleFreak offline