Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 pm

Inspiron 1525 help

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Inspiron 1525 help

Postby Tommy4552 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:22 pm

My computer recently had a problem with the memory, but I got that fixed. Before I knew what was wrong I reinstalled XP on my computer and now it doesnt have the features that came with it like the volume and screen light watcher thing and the dell media direct button doesnt work. Can I just use system restore to restore it back to itself or is it already too late since I reinstalled XP? And if so can someone help me put the features back on it. Also I cant get the internet to work with my wireless router. ;__;

Tommy4552 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby ccbtimewiz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 pm

In order to effectively bugfix your computer system, you need to provide more information on the system itself.

What OS? You made mention of a Windows XP disc, so I'm assuming it's Windows XP? Am I right to this assumption? Perhaps a list of the system specs and list of programs/processes currently running would be helpful?
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Try calling Dell. Or see if the computer came with any Dell discs to install.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tommy4552 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 am

LG wrote:In order to effectively bugfix your computer system, you need to provide more information on the system itself.

What OS? You made mention of a Windows XP disc, so I'm assuming it's Windows XP? Am I right to this assumption? Perhaps a list of the system specs and list of programs/processes currently running would be helpful?

I called dell last night and they helped me reseat the memory which they said would correct the problem. Before I called them I got help from a friend and then I reinstalled Windows XP with the disk that came with it. So I did that then it crashed again and thats when I called dell. Now that I have it fixed and the operating system wasnt the problem, it seems that even tho I installed all the drivers the features with the inspiron 1525 have dissapeared. When I press the volume button on my keyboard nothing appears on screen to show me what level of volume I am at and when I turn the Wi-Fi on and off there is nothing on screen indicating it. Would using system restore to go back to a day before I reinstalled XP work or would it just give me some kind of error. I cant give a list of processes right now so I will edit this messege later.

Tommy4552 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Gadget » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 pm

No, restoring would not bring you back before you installed windows. The problem with that is Restore does not restore your entire computer, all it does is return setting back to a previous date (Example: create a file, then restore, the file will still be there afterwards)

It seems to me that you are missing some drivers. But you said you have installed them. It could be an aftermarket device that you don’t have the drivers to (That why it would be nice for specs). Make sure you have the right drivers. And have them all. The Windows XP disk does not come with all the drivers, that is why you need to download them.

Drivers for your laptop:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... &TabIndex=
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Or, you could buy a Mac with Leopard and an external HD and then just use Time MAchine....
Instant one-touch backups that actually back up your entire system.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby ccbtimewiz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Macintosh computers are quite expensive these days. Better off fixing what they already have.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tommy4552 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I called dell and they walked me through it. Seems the drivers werent installed. Kind of stupid of me on my part. I just thought they installed automatically XD! My computer is up and running again. Thanks again.

Tommy4552 offline
New Kid
New Kid