Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:34 am

Lyoko OS

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Lyoko OS

Postby Gadget » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:06 pm

I think this belongs in Tech. Disc.
First off yes Gadget is back. (Took a break from the forum world for a while)

Does anyone remember the project proposed on Tek Links Called Lyoko OS (Operating system). Lyoko OS was a project I was working on a while ago to make an Actual operating system based off the one In Code Lyoko. There was a program made (I think It was called Project Carthage corrected by Tangent128) where the program Looked like the one on Code Lyoko. Although I loved the program it was not an OS. It was just a program. Well Lyoko OS slowly faded from the minds of the Forum world. I actually started the actual coding but stopped when school started back up.

The major problem was even though I have made DOS OSs in the past I have never made an OS with a Graphical User Interface (GUI). Well I kept working on it slowly A little at a time. Well with the help of A new computer teacher at the college I go to. I have started working on it again. See this new teacher has built a GUI before so he is helping me. My Hope is to have the OS done by the end of this school year.

So I have the basic structure of the OS done, and I plan to start working on it again. But I am still trying to think of how to set up the desk top. When I started this I decided to make it so it has a little of every Lyoko fan in it. So here is where it starts.

What I need.

Ok even though I have thought hard about it I cant decide on a Log in screen for the Operating software. It needs the ability to type in a username and password. I want some one to Just make a picture (Don’t care what file type) of how I can do it. The file you send will not be the actually file used it will just be the blue prints for how I will make the log in screen. (But it will look just like it so doesn’t worry).

I need a Logo. I have thrown around like 2 or 3 designs but never decide on one. The logo will be shown at the OSs start up. Just send me the logo. It needs to be just a Picture. No Text on it. I will be using the Picture sent directly.

I need Icons. Just send me a Picture of the icon. If you know how, you can send them as Icon files (My name for them, There different file types for different OSs). If they are a picture I will just make them a Icon. If they are the wrong Icon file I can just convert them.

And last thing I need is an OS start sound and shutdown sound, (and possibly other sound effects for it). The OS start and shutdown sound can be no longer then 10 seconds. If they are 11 Seconds I can still use them so don’t worry about be right on the dot.

Then reason I am asking for this now so early is because I will base how the whole thing looks off these 4 things.

For Every persons file I use I will put there name of choice on the Boot up screen. (And a small logo if they want).

So you can either post it or send me it in a email, My email is GadgetServerNetwork@hotmail.com
Last edited by Gadget on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I'd need to track it down, but the Project Carthage logo would make sense for the boot-up logo.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 am

Why not the Xana logo? Its plastered on everything.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby kofy guy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:31 pm

When you finish this, are you going to post a download link for it?

kofy guy offline
New Kid
New Kid

Login Screen

Postby LyokoMan95 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Here is my login screen:
ImageImage

I loved this idea as soon as I heard about it at TL. One question, is it still mainly going to be for cluster servers, or is it going to be for regular computers?
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:59 pm

A quick question:
Is it built around the Windows framework, for better compatibility, or is it some OS that won't have any software compatible with it?
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby ccbtimewiz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:02 pm

AFAIK, it's build around the Windows Mainframe.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 am

Why not completely mod the windows or linux GUI? If someone is going to build a kernal from the ground up, then they obviously know how to mod a gui.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Gadget » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Well I am not really building it from ground up I am rebuilding Fedora core, I am also taking a little code from Ubantu and SUSE. And no it’s not built around any Widows framework, although I am thinking about including some Parallel Machine Software to make it so you can use Both Windows (XP), and Mac OS while in Lyoko OS. Unfortanly though you will have to already have one of the 2 installed to use the parallel machine software, because I can’t “Legallyâ€
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kofy guy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:22 pm

When you say normal desktop computers, does that include laptops or do you mean regular desktops only?

kofy guy offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Gadget » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Ok sorry didn’t clarify. It will work with desktop, and Laptops. If I can get a hold of some drivers I might also be ale to get it to work on tablet PCs to. But seeing the average person either has a laptop or desktop, they are the 2 I am aiming at. When done I may make a server version, and maybe a Pocket PC version, Although the pocket PC may be pushing it, I will have to do some serious Size reduction for it to work.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kofy guy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:40 pm

will this OS be able to be installed and run by itself or will you need to have another OS (i.e window or mac OS) already installed before you install this one?

kofy guy offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 am

Dual Boot should be supported. After all, it is Linux based.
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Gadget » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Exactly, Dual Boot is supported, and if I am reading that correctly you want to know if you have to have a OS already installed to use Lyoko OS. No you don’t have to have another OS to use Lyoko OS.

But I am going to be including some Parallel machine software. Which I didn’t say what that is exactly, there are many different names for Parallel Machine Software. Mainly it allows you to use a already installed OS while you’re in Linux. This way you can be in Lyoko OS and still use stuff like Macromedia and Office, and any other programs you like that are in another OS.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:14 am

I'm a bit confused. Are you tring just to replicate the GUI from CL? Also, you said you were borrowing from the fedora core. Does this mean your modifying the kernel?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:16 pm

He's making a completely different OS, but it will be based around the Linux, Mac OS, and last and certainly least, Windows frameworks. It will have the SuperComputer's GUI, and I'm not sure whether he will edit the kernel.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tangent128 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:52 pm

So, how will the GUI work? An X Window Manager? Or a completely custom system? (I'd think one could get something neat working with WebKit...)
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:11 am

Any more news on this? I might work on some Lyoko linux themes. I'll post the links here when done
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Gadget » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:12 am

Yes actually, my computer teacher has been helping me recreate the kernel of a version of SUSE Linux, and it has been a very good learning experience for me. Just a little bit more work and I will be ready for the Best part (I think to me) the actual design of the OS. The kernel (sometimes called the source code) Runs the entire system, It itself is the OSs main part (The heart if you will) It is also the hardest thing to create from scratch. So I don’t have the kernel done, but its getting there. The main thing that is keeping me from making a lot of progress is having time, between school and work.

I haven’t given a lot of thought of making a Game that will come with the OS. But since the kernel is based off of SUSE then any game that will run on SUSE should run just fine on Lyoko OS. Just throwing that out there if any Linux game designers are out there reading this.

Now this is pushing it, but I hope to have a beta test version ready by the end of December (since during Christmas break I will probably spend night and day on this).

EDIT: if you can create a SUSE Lyoko Linux theme, I can use it as the base for the OSs look. That would help me greatly, also it would speed up my work. (seeing that i would just take yours and Edit it to work fully with the OS). If it means anything, it would get your Name of chocie on the Boot Up Screen.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 am

Do you think that you could put something in the settings so you could customize the initial boot screen? Like being able to have the choice to have the gang members there upon the boot, or to load in a picture that you have?

That would be awesome.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Gadget » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 am

Don’t see why not, I will write that down, and will use that idea. See these are the things that help me; I want to know what the Internet community wants in Lyoko OS. Every Idea Helps.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 pm

If you're looking for a suse Linux theme... I have version 10 or so, so I can modify the graphics a bit. It might take a bit of time though...

So, are we sticking with the blues with the Star Trek/Brushed metal finish?

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Gadget » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:56 am

That’s where a little custom Looks will come into play. After I finish the Kernel, and setting up the OS itself up, Making the OSs theme and looks will be easy. Although I want to leave the basic structure of SUSE in there so people will already be use to it. I also want to make sure its very user friendly, Linux is bad about not being easy to use for people who are not use to it. So I will try desperately to make it user friendly. I mean what’s the point of making it so complicated no one can use it.

A little add on, I have looked at what the requirements will be on the end product. Now I can’t say for 100% sure right now but I think a computer with 256MB of RAM and 1.5-2GHz processor should run it. Although afterwards I want make a light version for people to install on 2 GB flash drives :D . Also it will be able to install normaly for peopel who have older computers.
8)
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 am

Are you using the classic /bin /usr /etc directory structure, or will you go with something like GoboLinux's system?
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Gadget » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:53 am

That’s my current plan because it’s the tried and true method, And it has proven it self to me in the past.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Next