Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

Google Chrome

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

What do you think?

I'm switching!
25%
I'll consider if the bugs are ironed out.
38%
I'll just use it for creating/playing games.
No votes
Meh. Not interested.
25%
Don't like it.
13%

Total votes : 8

Google Chrome

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Google's released a (beta of) a new web browser!

It's designed for better web application support, so one neat feature it has is the ability to create a desktop icon that launches a page (say, GMail) in its own window, without address bars, tabs, etc. cluttering things up.

It's still a little glitchy in some places, but the Javascript performance is crazy good. I think one could make a Javascript-based Runescape-type thing with this.

For techies:
It runs with WebKit, and uses a new Javascript JIT engine called V8.
It also supports HTML5 client-side storage.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Good ol' Google. Taking over the world, one step at a time. Well, I'm certainly no techie and I don't do squat with Javascript (as far as I know) but my Opera has been acting wonky (most likely due to user error) and I've been meaning to give something different a shot.

Why not. I'll try it out.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby ccbtimewiz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Been using it all day for web development tests. It's pretty powerful in terms of bugfixing-- very nice source manipulation system and source view.

I myself dislike Webkits though-- more of the Gecko fan. To me this is just a suited up Safari with a better interface and cool plugins.

However I very much like the 'sandbox' effect. Prevents it from just closing out of nowhere. Hoping other browsers do similar.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby matsumo itsu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm

lyoko your our test dummy lol, if you use it and it works good then i might give it a shot after i reformat.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Well, I've been trying it out for a little bit, and so far I like it. It has a spell checker and is very space saving and the incognito window is useful. Also, it has a sort of speed dial feature, similar to Opera, and the speed dial was one of the main reasons I used Opera.

The only qualm I have with it is that I can't scroll by clicking the scroll wheel and moving my mouse, which I apparently do a lot. Other than that, Google's done a pretty good job.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jazzy Josh » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 pm

It's Ok. I would recommend you try it. If you just need to use it for a few seconds, it's pretty fast. the browser needs tobe worked on more. Google should have also coded this for Linux and OSX, unless I'm just blind and don't realize that they did.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah, the scroll click thing gets me too. Also, I can't press the 1&2 keys to switch tabs. And there are little text rendering issues with SVG and CSS3 features...

But it is fast. Fast Javascript, fast to start up, etc.

Oh, have you tried the "applicationification" feature? Try this:
1. Open http://degreeclock.googlepages.com/recapitator.svg
2. Click the little page icon menu by the omnibar.
3. Select "Create application shortcuts..."
4. Select whichever places you like.
5. You now have a Penguin Recapitator 3000 icon on your desktop / Start Menu / wherever, but it opens in a window that makes it look native- no tab bar, no omnibar, just Delmas's timewaster..

Mac & Linux versions are supposed to be coming, but it's unclear how soon. Probably once the Windows version has most of the kinks worked out.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ccbtimewiz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Wow, that was fast. Already a bug.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10031250-83.html
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Well, it is beta. (Just-released beta, not GMail beta.)
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ccbtimewiz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:58 pm

There seems to be a lot of concern today about Chrome potentially being equivalent of spyware if you read
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10031 ... riesArea.0

Apparently, all the keystrokes in the auto suggest bar get logged along with an iIP

And if you've not already read, Google is having to change the EULA
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... ge-it.html
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Yeah; I don't think this is the first time a copy-and-pasted EULA has caused problems. (Google owns this post!)

As far as the url thing, that can be disabled, I believe.

If nothing else, one can always run a proxy filter...
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Kamekai » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:20 am

--
Last edited by Kamekai on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby timekitten » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Meh, I'm still happy with FireFox. Plus, it is a beta.

But if they get the bugs worked out and there are some raving mad reviews of it, I just might consider trying it out. Just have to wait and see.
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Consider it a rave review from me- I think Chrome will become my "random browsing" browser, while I'll keep Opera to read feeds, email, and hold tabs that I want to keep in a session.

The Javascript is crazy fast, like I said before; I'm got a lot of experiments now...

You don't need Google's installer, by the way- go to http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/ , find the latest build, and download and extract "chrome-win32.zip". (not chrome-win32-syms.zip, that's different and unhelpful)
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Great, another browser. More crap for people to throw around.

I'm happy with FFP3 and IE7Pro.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 pm

I do like the browser, but I've been having this weird problem with the text. Sometimes when I start a new line the first word will be blank, and when I backspace it takes a while for the text to change. I like the browser but it is a bit buggy. But after all, it is a beta.

SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby timekitten » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Well, I went ahead and tried it over on a few computers at my college...Holy cow! It is fast. Faster than FireFox. O_o And the minimalist view is great. I've always been tired of browsers with big bars at the top. And it actually sports some unique features.

But it acts a little weird on my computer. I especially can't handle how it doesn't work well with scroll buttons. For now, I'll stick with FireFox, but if it's out of beta...
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Sciron » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:53 am

I MAY consider getting it when the new version comes out, but currently my PC is having internet connection issues, so :/

And I'm happy with Firefox for now as it is.
Sciron offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Location: Stop stalking me, and then maybe I'll tell you...NOT.

Postby Jeremified » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 pm

I like the incognito mode. It's good for sneaking onto Lyokofreak from my dad's laptop. :)
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Oran » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 am

Installed it on my work computer. I love the minimalist interface and the smart 'new tab page'. It starts up crazy fast, much faster than Firefox. I'm talking about when I close the program and relaunch it. It pops up instantly compared to the 5 secs for Firefox. However, I'm keeping Firefox 3 for the extensions and themes.

I currently use the Safari 4.0 Developer Preview at home. Which has super fast Javascript (using a new engine but not Google's) and the Web App feature. I'll try out the Mac version when it comes out but probably won't switch over. Since Chrome is contributing source code back into the WebKit project, I'm hoping to see some of the features and technology implemented in a future Safari update.

If you haven't already, read the excellent comic (by Scott McCloud) they used to introduce and explain the technology behind the browser.

Great, now I have a Penguin Recapitator 3000 icon in my Dock.

Oran offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 am

Oran wrote:Great, now I have a Penguin Recapitator 3000 icon in my Dock.

Oh, you need to check out my other fan projects from a while back. Besides the recreation of Recapitator, there's ULT, the fan wiki, the WCCxBlok shipping... :D

Oh, and I have read that comic. Interesting way to present the information, and very useful.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter