Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am

VirtualBox- very cool

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

VirtualBox- very cool

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 am

OK, this is fun. I booted my computer into Windows this morning. But I'm posting this from Linux! (Xubuntu, specifically.)

VirtualBox is free virtualization software from Sun- basically, you can run a PC-inside-a-PC, booting whatever OS you want on the inner one. It's not an emulator- it runs as much code as possible directly on the processor, recompiling some portions as needed.

So you can run Linux on Windows, Windows on Linux, Windows XP on Vista, any of them on Mac...

Did I mention it's free? And surprisingly simple to use. Just setup the virtual hardware and boot.

You do need to get a CD to boot off of at least the first time (until you can install to a virtual hard disk); real CDs and downloaded images both work. Also, you need enough memory to run both OSes, which is why I'm running Xubuntu. My new computer, when it arrives, should handle the full Ubuntu.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter