Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 am

I nead advice...

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

I nead advice...

Postby Reesane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:41 pm

I just had a crazy idea.

I want to start a web forum.

I have no idea how to do so, but I want to do it. If anyone can give me advice on how to do this I'd appreciate it.
Mood today: O_o

made by CBIzumi

made by Carth
Reesane offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 pm

PhpBB is the way to go. Download the most recent version because if there is a bug, your covered.

Next is to find a webhosting site. http://www.free-webhosts.com/ has a good directory of free ones. Go to advanced search and check php and mysql, stuff that phpBB needs.

Things to look for on the webhosts site and on free-webhosts.com:
STMP enabled (required to send email (including registration links))
Uptime (Don't believe the sites 99.9% uptime gaurentee, use free-webhosts.com comments.
Custom 404 (not really required, but looks nice)
Bandwidth (5g is enough for small forums, might need more if you get big)

Also, you need to figure out if you want a domain. I wouldn't recommend this if your small, because it might be a disaster, and you've lost your money. Lyokofreak has one because its still in business, and lyokofreak.freewebhost.com doesn't look right on a forum with this size.

----

I would also not recommend using a forum generator, as you are very limited on what you can do. If you ever want to put something else on your forum, your screwed.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Plus, it seems that a lot of those dedicated forum sites are slow in applying security fixes.

110mb.com's free plan is very nice. However, they make you pay (one-time, $10 I think) for mySQL. I think PHPBB3 lets you use an SQLite database though, which is free.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Kamekai » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Tangent128 wrote:I think PHPBB3 lets you use an SQLite database though, which is free.

But a heck of a lot slower. >>
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am

Only if a bunch of people are posting at once- any number of people can read an SQLite file simultaniously, and if the mySQL server is heavily loaded (as a free host's would tend to be), SQLite can actually be faster, since you don't have to wait for the database server.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ccbtimewiz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Do NOT go with phpBB. Seriously.

I suggest going with Simple Machines over at http://www.simplemachines.org/ :nyeh!:

Also free hosts suck. If you want, I can host you. PM me.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Kamekai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Tangent128 wrote:and if the mySQL server is heavily loaded (as a free host's would tend to be), SQLite can actually be faster, since you don't have to wait for the database server.

You do have a point there. :P
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 pm

ccbtimewiz wrote:Do NOT go with phpBB. Seriously.

I suggest going with Simple Machines over at http://www.simplemachines.org/ :nyeh!:

Also free hosts suck. If you want, I can host you. PM me.

simple machines is kinda secure, because milw0rm doesn't have any bugs and waraxe people won't cough up anything.

with free hosts, it depends on what your comparing it to. if your comparing it to an expensive virtual dedicated or dedicated server, then yes, because you have most of the whole dang server, instead of sharing it with others. but besides that, some free hosts have more features than some paid hosts. one thing though that is somehow STMP is a rarity on free hosts. the only advantage paid hosting gives is more bandwidth and storage space, something not needed by Reesane, because he is just starting, and doesn't really need 200 GB of bandwidth
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Xana's Fist wrote:with free hosts, it depends on what your comparing it to. if your comparing it to an expensive virtual dedicated or dedicated server, then yes, because you have most of the whole dang server, instead of sharing it with others. but besides that, some free hosts have more features than some paid hosts. one thing though that is somehow STMP is a rarity on free hosts. the only advantage paid hosting gives is more bandwidth and storage space, something not needed by Reesane, because he is just starting, and doesn't really need 200 GB of bandwidth

110mb gives me 300 gigs of bandwidth for free. Only 5 gigs of disk space, though.
MySQL is a one-time $10 fee, but you get unlimited database space.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Tangent128 wrote:
Xana's Fist wrote:with free hosts, it depends on what your comparing it to. if your comparing it to an expensive virtual dedicated or dedicated server, then yes, because you have most of the whole dang server, instead of sharing it with others. but besides that, some free hosts have more features than some paid hosts. one thing though that is somehow STMP is a rarity on free hosts. the only advantage paid hosting gives is more bandwidth and storage space, something not needed by Reesane, because he is just starting, and doesn't really need 200 GB of bandwidth

110mb gives me 300 gigs of bandwidth for free. Only 5 gigs of disk space, though.
MySQL is a one-time $10 fee, but you get unlimited database space.

I actually thought about 110mb hosting. I think i'm going to switch because freehostia is killing me on downtime, and awardspace has too many limitations.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter