Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 pm

Stupid Computer Mishaps

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Stupid Computer Mishaps

Postby YDV » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Have you ever done something -really- dumb that ended up deleting all yoru files or killing your computer? Hrm.. yeah. I thought this would be a good thread to make.

*sigh* I am an idiot. Okay, so I have the Sims 2, right? Well I have yet to install it on this computer, so I popped it in and it ran. Until... the part where I had to put in the registration key or whatever. So I wasl ike "D'oh!!! >.<" cuz I had the CD but not the CD case. So I spent about two days looking for it, and after not being able to find it, I just figured, well... they've got other ways to get around that, right? Pay attention, here comes the idiot part: NEVER. EVER. EVER. Look up registration keys or anything like that on the internet. Ugh. *massages temples* I clicked on some like "Sweet! I found somethin'!"

...Bad mistake. Bad. So, needless to say, I've had about 50 million pop ups and my computer's running as fast as a snail, and I'm sitting back whipping out all my anti-virus/anti-spyware/adware things feeling like a total imbecile, because I KNEW better.

Anybody else feel this way before?
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Chad Rains » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:07 pm

...Umm...No. Because I know better. :P
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:17 pm

These are known as Ohnoseconds. It's the time between at which you delete (or purge) an important item, and you realize what happened.
Also see: Ohnosplat. Comes right after the ohnosecond
(You've seen in before...
... OH NO!

.....SPLAT!

No relation to Apolo Anton Ohno.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby YDV » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Vchat 2.0 wrote:...Umm...No. Because I know better. :P

That's because you're Mr. Smarty Pants. And I said I knew better. :P

And AB... I think you get the award for Most Random in all the Land.. o.O
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Rycr » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:05 am

AngelBolt wrote:These are known as Ohnoseconds. It's the time between at which you delete (or purge) an important item, and you realize what happened.
Also see: Ohnosplat. Comes right after the ohnosecond
(You've seen in before...
... OH NO!

.....SPLAT!

No relation to Apolo Anton Ohno.
Yeah, I've had a few "Ohnoseconds" myself. Like the time when my digital camera was being wierd. The screen had somehow messed up, and I was trying to fix it by basically changing every option in the Menu. Of course, one of these options lets you delete ALL of your pictures. Naturally, without knowing what I was doing, I selected it. It asked me if I was sure. Of course I realized what I was about to do, and went to select "no". For some reason, I ended up picking "yes," because the buttons are retarded. Then there was the Ohnosecond, then the pictures were gone...

I've done similar things on my computer various times. I click a couple times, hit the wrong button, and have just enough time to yell "OH NO!!!" before it is permanently deleted.
Rycr offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby YDV » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:33 pm

Yeah. Uh. I had NO idea where to rant about this, but um..

Apparently the computer gods hate me. Because since my dad hasn't fixed the internet connection settings on my computer, I can't connect to the internet. And I made an avatar on there which I want to get onto this computer so I can upload it, etc. Well the compy gods are all like "hecks no son."

Basically, first I thought of using a flash drive-- convenience. Unfortunately FOR SOME STRANGE REASON *cough*littlesister*cough* all of our flash drives have disappeared. :whatever:

So then, I'm like okay whatever, I'll just put it on a CD. After spending about ten minutes of trying to figure out HOW, since Windows Media Player (don't ask me why lol) and other zip/file-handling type thingies didn't work, I basically used Windows Explorer. And then I pulled a Jeremie, because I sat in front of the computer, going "What do you mean, 'ehh'?" *grumblecrumbles*

My computer's messed up or something because it wouldn't even recognize any of the blank discs I put in there (and I KNOW it can because I've burned things to them before), and if I try anything else, it says it can't access the DVD drive (since the other one is kinda broken..)

So finally I'm like FINE! I'll do it the low-tech way. And scrounged around the garage for an old old pack of floppy disks. (I got the pretty green one! Er.. yeah.) I go upstairs and slip it in. And the first thing that happens is the darn thing won't even fit into the drive! So I'm like WTF MATE?! :umm: and spend like five MORE minutes attempting to get it to go in. When it finally does, it makes this error-y sounding noise and spits it back out. So I put it in again, and attempt to put it on that way. It wouldn't work with Explorer, so I try just saving it there using GIMP. That made an even worse error-y noise. So then I'm just like screw it and shut the darn thing down.

Why, Computer Gods? Why can't I just get one measly little avatar from one computer to the other? WHY?!? ;__;
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jeremified » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:18 pm

Hehe... I have a story where my friend almost deleted his hard drive...
I told him with Google Talk to go to Command Prompt and type in DEL C:\ and then hit enter. I thought he would know, but then about 30 seconds after he said that, he logged off G. Talk and didn't return for the rest of the night. He told me the next day that he actually DID do it, but there was some sort of an access violation error, cancelling the entire thing. *PHEW!*
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:30 pm

Hmm... I had a small mishap with adware on my old computer once. I blame it on me being a lot more inexperienced with computers, though.

I had just purchased webspace for the first time (note: I was 12 at the time) and was looking for a new, free FTP program. I ignored programs that were recommended to me, like Cute FTP (I couldn't find the download, lmao) and WS_FTP (because it's not freeware... though, I did end up buying a copy later anyway) and instead pulled something called Leech FTP off of download.com.

To this day, I'm not 100% sure if that's why I ended up getting blasted with popups randomly every so often, but I'm pretty sure because that was the only program I had downloaded that wasn't something I knew was safe. Heh.

The good news was that it forced me to learn about taking anti-spyware measures, like making sure my anti virus software was up-to-date, as well as keeping Ad-Aware and Spybot around for extra protection.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin