Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 am

1&1 Hosting - Any good?

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

1&1 Hosting - Any good?

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:19 pm

(Sorry Erynn, but it's cheaper. No $97 for you. But I was thinking about it for a moment or two.)

Anyway... I'm currently using a paid form of Yahoo! GeoCities for hosting. I'm shelling out $6.95/month for it, and not getting a lot - 25 MBs storage, 2 GB transfer/month, no advanced scripting or databases. I'm considering a switch to a 1&1 Home plan, which is $2 less, 9,775 MB more storage, 498 GB more bandwidth, PHP/Perl/Python support, e-mail accounts, and MySQL databases. Oh, and 2 free top-level domains of my choosing instead of "geocities.com/neo14789".

My question is, has anyone heard anything about 1&1 to yay/nay this? If not, I'd go for it (cheaper and FAR better!), but I thought I'd check.
I am the one known as NeoDude in a past life.
---
When you lose your imagination, you lose a part of yourself you can never get back. Never give up, and never accept the mundane. And never stop yourself from dreaming...
Alex offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby MalikDrako » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:36 pm

sounds good, you might also want to try zeeblo if you dont need that much space and bandwidth, 100mb storage, 2gb transfer/month, free (could have changed since I last checked)

MalikDrako offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:00 am

Hmm... Not a bad idea, but I'll stick with this... for one thing, I want to get AWAY from the whole "structured domain" thing.

Anyone want to donate a second opinion?
---
When you lose your imagination, you lose a part of yourself you can never get back. Never give up, and never accept the mundane. And never stop yourself from dreaming...
Alex offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Chad Rains » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:10 am

I use onthespothosting.com myself. I actually got a deal they had this past summer where I got a years worth of hosting for something like $20 for the whole year. Ive got 1GB of space and something like 60GB of monthly bandiwdth as well as various common ammenities like a number of domains/subdomains/email accounts/mysql db's/etc. along with cpanel access. Other than a few initial hiccups and some security constraints (one of my biggest miff's, but not so much anymore is they dont allow script access to outside resources on ports other than port 80 I think. for example, I had a script for my radio website that grabbed stats from my server here at home which runs on port 9000. wouldnt work until I explained the situation and they opened it up for me), everything has been smooth so far.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:23 am

Lol, I had completely forgotten you were thinking about DH. :P

Well, I believe this will probably serve as a better plan for you. There's no reason why you should pay more and get more if you're not even going to use it all. DH is really more for larger sites that need lots of space.

Anyway, good luck! (And be sure to read ALL the fine print, trust me....)
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Chad Rains » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:33 am

I remember that 1&1 had some pretty bad rep when they first started. something with them unknowingly charging for whatever stupid reason after their little initial free trial or something along those lines. Haven't really heard nothing past that so I cant really give much of a good opinion on them. Only thing I can say is there are better deals out there if you look around.

Ill see if I can find my old host around. I remember I was paying something like a few bucks a month for what I've got now.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:46 pm

I signed up today. I'll let you know if anything of interest goes up (in another thread).

Lockage requested.
---
Alex offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant