Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 am

LyokoFreakersFiction (LF member's fanfiction forum) - DEV

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

LyokoFreakersFiction (LF member's fanfiction forum) - DEV

Postby Chad Rains » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:10 am

This thread is a kind of offshoot of my C:V questionaire thread. After considering Star Way's comment, I have taken the idea to heart and have really pulled some great ideas together here and am trying to get the ball rolling on this. so far this is what ive got in mind:

• phpBB base (I know it, easy to use, and I dont have the funds atm to purchase ipb or vB)
  • Separate forums for each author with full access granted to the author
  • WYSIWYG editor (this is a really BIG point here. I have personal experience in the difficulties of preserving formatting going from MS Word to a forum. not pretty. a proper WYSIWYG editor will clear this up.)
  • Rating mod (display a star based rating next to the topic which users can openly rate said topic)

Any other ideas anyone has got to add?
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:23 pm

I like this! But how many authors are you planning on having there? Because that could be an awful lot of forums... It might work better to have forums for each genre or something.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Chad Rains » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:52 pm

all depends on how many authors request a forum for their work. ive ran the idea through my head a little bit and the general idea ive got is that for starting out, each author could have their own forum. but once things pick up, rather than have a LONG page of forums, the organization could be converted over to something like genre categorization, shipping categorization (J/A forum, Y/U forum, etc.).

again, ideas/amendments are welcome here to kind of "fine tune" things.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Chad Rains » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 am

Well, ive been thinking about it for a bit and I do agree that it would be a little silly to give each author their own separate forum seeing as in general each author doesnt have more than maybe a dozen stories out there. So instead of going that route, how do you think it should be categorized? go the simple route and categorize by the fic rating (K, K+, T, etc.)?
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:57 am

That might work. A more reader-friendly way might be to categorize by genre, though.

Or maybe both.

You know how on this forum there are categories of forums? For example, this one is called "Non-CL Related." You could have four of those categories for each rating (or maybe five, though I'm not sure if you want to have Adult/NC-17 rated stuff on your site) and then within those categories have the genres.

I'd recommend keeping the genres relatively simple, though...

Romance
Drama
Humour
Action/Adventure
Misc

Something like that maybe.

I'd be willing to donate my time towards this, if you need any help. I may even be upgrading this site to its very own server soon, so if you need space (I'll have PLENTY) we can talk. :)
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Chad Rains » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 am

so say something like this?

Rating: K
- Action/Adv.
- Romance
- Drama
- etc..
Rating: K+
- Action/Adv.
- Romance
- Drama
- etc..

I did think about doing some spiffy categorization, but the problem ends up being trying to have certain stories show up in more than a single forum. but the above format seems to eliminate that.

as for adult ratings, I dont see why I shouldnt have it, but it will probably be setup like the BKO forum here (only granted access upon request and when certain conditions are met).
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Sounds great to me!

I think you could get popular for this, especially because so many people dislike FFN these days.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby comex » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:23 pm

Do you know PHP? It can't be that hard to put together a custom solution; or even if not, I'm not sure if phpbb is the place to start. But since I can't offer any alternatives besides, like I said, making it custom, feel free to totally 100% superly ignore me. :)

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Chad Rains » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:04 pm

Now that you mentioned that, I did a little searching and came across this number. While it doesnt seem to be much more featureful above FF.net, Im open for opinions. For now, im still keeping my sights set for the phpbb version.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:50 pm

That looks like it could be a good way to go.

My argument on why you could get big (and be a competitor for FFN's CL section) is that if you were in charge, the rules would be YOURS. As in, songfics allowed, no more stripping of words/links/characters (yay!) and etc. And if we were affiliates, you'd get a lot of traffic.

Also, just the fact that it would be a smaller community would mean you'd have miles more control over what fics get posted/etc. So, when you say, "USE SPELLCHECKER" and then it's obvious someone didn't, you could actually do something about it and keep the site tidy. :P

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Chad Rains » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Ok. ive been playing around with this efiction program a bit and it does seem to do exactly what im looking for. it even allows for more categorization options such as individual characters. other than a few glitches here and there (one during the initial install which was a mysql glitch, and the current IIS mail() issue im having but should have fixed in due time), iot seems to work great and ive also done work on modifying a theme with more CL related features.

what I wanted to ask was if anyone had any suggestions for a better name for this other than "LyokoFreakersFiction"?
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby comex » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Where did you install it to? I'd love to help out in any way possible.

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Chad Rains » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:52 pm

http://wpkr.homeip.net/LFF/ although if a different name for the site is decided upon, I will most likely end up changing up the url a bit.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:55 pm

This sounds amazing!
an as said before, since a lot of people are getting angry at FF.net for the no in-story review rules.
I just hope there's a sour and a random category. Mabey, just for those stories that make you flinch or are so competely random that you laugh out loud.
And it's a wonderful thought to link the sites. You think about it, It's almost like advertising on a commercial, except it takes you directly to the source...
And I think more people would be interensted in individual FF sites fo shows because you wouldn't get as confuzed, and it would be managed by someone who actually knows this stuff. Not just people in a colege deleting files.

I'm intriuged in the idea, and will help in whatever way possible. If possible.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Chad Rains » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:25 pm

Well, ive managed to do some categorization on the site. So far ive got categories set up by seasons (which seasons the stories take place in.), and ships (just the 6 common ships as listed on the LF homepage). you can check them out here. anyone got any ideas for more? multiple categories can be selected when posting your stories btw, so if your story has alot of J/A action in it, but it also takes place after season 2, you can have your story placed in both the ships/J+A category and the seasons/post-s2 category as well as what other categories may be put in.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Suggestion? Add a "Novelization" category. It would give, among others, myself and G-Force a good place to put our stories.

[EDIT] There, have a story. As a note, it converted really oddly... whether that's because I saved from FFN or it's in the code of the site, remains to be seen.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the one known as NeoDude in a past life.
---
When you lose your imagination, you lose a part of yourself you can never get back. Never give up, and never accept the mundane. And never stop yourself from dreaming...
Alex offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby comex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:01 pm

Help! Don't ask me why, but I can't edit the TinyMCEs (they appear grey).

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:13 pm

What browser are you using?
I am the one known as NeoDude in a past life.
---
When you lose your imagination, you lose a part of yourself you can never get back. Never give up, and never accept the mundane. And never stop yourself from dreaming...
Alex offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby comex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Firefox, fairly recent version... one of the TinyMCEs that was on the registration page worked, not sure why these aren't. :/

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Star Way » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Is the site not loading for anyone else, or is it just me?

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Chad Rains » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:55 pm

they work fine on my end :/ . only problem im currently noticing is firefox wont display the sub-categories when posting a story. only IE seems to. Ive got a note about it posted on the efiction site.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Chad Rains » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:00 pm

I dont know why the site is acting so slow. direct LAN access works great and loads instantaneously, but using the 'net address is taking forever to load.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Okay, everything is working for me again, too. You should check your system stats, though, because things still seem a bit slow.

In other news, I LOVE this software you're running. It's miles better than FF.net. :)

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby comex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:10 pm

For absolutely no reason, I made a video of it!
http://xemoc.net/flashstuff/out2.html
Um, yeah. Can you just add an option to disable TinyMCE (or is there already one)? I can live with HTML.

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Star Way » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:15 pm

comex wrote:Um, yeah. Can you just add an option to disable TinyMCE (or is there already one)? I can live with HTML.

Yes, if that's possible you should definitely turn it off.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Next