Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

AIM worm virus - VERY HOSTILE!

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

AIM worm virus - VERY HOSTILE!

Postby KarinBerry » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:56 pm

DO NOT OPEN YOUSENDIT LINKS OVER YOUR CHAT PROGRAMS. THERE IS A VIRUS WHICH MIMICS YOUSENDIT LINKS.

My sister got an IM from a friend that said, "look, I have a picture of us!" and that was followed by what appeared to be a yousendit link. She clicked the link, and nothing happened, and she was confused. She left for work, and when she came home, she had thirty IMs open on her desktop of people asking her what the heck the link was that she sent them because they clicked and nothing happened. She didn't send them anything! It was the virus!

I was one of the people who received the link from her, but I recognised that the link in the AIM window was not a true yousendit link. It wasn't followed by a long series of numbers and letters, as usual. Instead, it was a few numbers and letters followed by a filename, THANKS.EXE. I didn't click the link, and my computer is free of this particular virus.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT CLICK ANY YOUSENDIT LINKS OVER YOUR CHAT PROGRAM UNLESS YOUR FRIEND HAS SPECIFICALLY SAID THE FILE IS TRUSTWORTHY!

If you click the link, the virus will send itself out to everyone on your buddy list who is online at the time as a link, just like it got to you. I don't know exactly what it does to your computer beyond that, but right now my sister seems to be having problems with hers in a big way, so it's safe to say the virus is destructive.

Also, it looks like the yousendit link isn't the only <a href="http://windowsatoz.com.com/AIM+worm+plays+nasty+new+trick/2100-7349_3-5920403.html">AIM worm</a> floating around. With that in mind, it's best to not click on a link from a friend on AIM until you have verified with your friend that the link was sent intentionally.

Good luck! There's a big, bad cyberworld out there.
my HYDE avatar was made by <a href="http://milkydrop.livejournal.com">MilkyDrop</a> at LiveJournal.com
KarinBerry offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Darkborn » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:57 pm

And, That's why i don't have AIM. lol i had something similar which i don't want to talk about.
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:00 pm

Thank you for posting this! My old laptop got infected with this very virus towards the end of its life... Thank goodness it died and I didn't have to mess with it anymore.

This is spread through profiles as well as ordinary IMs; the one I got was from a link in someone's profile I clicked that said, "Haha, I found a picture of %n here!!!"

Then, it automatically put the same text into my profile and I couldn't change it. (Therefore, spreading itself amongst all my friends.)
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Darkborn » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:14 pm

Star Way wrote: "Haha, I found a picture of %n here!!!"

Yup that's the one that got me.
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby xxJeanGreyxx » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:39 pm

Star Way wrote:This is spread through profiles as well as ordinary IMs; the one I got was from a link in someone's profile I clicked that said, "Haha, I found a picture of %n here!!!"

Then, it automatically put the same text into my profile and I couldn't change it. (Therefore, spreading itself amongst all my friends.)

ME too... I had to get the virus out of my computer... after hours of work...
<3 x <3 x <3 J <3 e <3 a <3 n <3 G <3 r <3 e <3 y <3 x <3 x <3
*~*~*~
xxJeanGreyxx offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby YDV » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:42 pm

I hope those don't get onto Trillian.. *worries*
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:49 am

Same here! I use Trillian too.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Ransomed_Heart » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 am

I recieved it as well, and the link said "New picture of me!" I spent quite some time trying to get it out (and quite a bit of time messaging everyone who was logged on at that point telling them not to click it because it automatically sent on to them..)
"I'm so glad I found an angel
Someone who was there
When all my hopes fell.
I wanna fly looking in your eyes.."

-Jesse McCartney, "Because You Live"
~ <3 Ray
Ransomed_Heart offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Max Gene » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:57 pm

I found the antivirus for that awhile back. Searching now, I'll PM anyone infected with the link if I find it. This fixes ALL aim viruses.
Max Gene offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kindpastor » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:12 pm

one clue is that it says its linking a photo album and then sende you "photoalbum.exe" exe files are executables which means a program is going to run, and if a program is going to run it means trouble.
kindpastor offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

DO NOT DOWNLOAD AIM TRITON

Postby Jazzy Josh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:02 pm

Also DO NOT DOWNLOAD AIM TRITON

Sgt.Taichi[JP] wrote:My friend has informed me that new AIM Triton is causing a quite trouble.

Do NOT download AOL's new IM App, AIM Triton. It may contain at least one of the following spywares and adwares:

Win32.qoologic
Win32.propo

I made the mistake of downloading it and am currently cleaning up my PC.

I highly recommend you do not download and/or install AIM Triton.

Taken from Techlinks

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Re: DO NOT DOWNLOAD AIM TRITON

Postby KarinBerry » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:49 pm

Lyoko is Cool wrote:Also DO NOT DOWNLOAD AIM TRITON

Sgt.Taichi[JP] wrote:My friend has informed me that new AIM Triton is causing a quite trouble.

Do NOT download AOL's new IM App, AIM Triton. It may contain at least one of the following spywares and adwares:

Win32.qoologic
Win32.propo

I made the mistake of downloading it and am currently cleaning up my PC.

I highly recommend you do not download and/or install AIM Triton.

Taken from Techlinks

That doesn't make me happy at all. I used the AIM fix and got rid of one virus. My mom used it and got rid of a whole slew of virii.

My AIM still didn't work, and neither did anyone else's on my network. Three of us had to delete the current version and get a new installer. That meant getting AIM Triton. I didn't have an AIM chat client without it. :*(
my HYDE avatar was made by <a href="http://milkydrop.livejournal.com">MilkyDrop</a> at LiveJournal.com
KarinBerry offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby comex » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:41 pm

Not here!! Can't this triton rumor stop!?

But, as for getting AIM, http://gaim.sf.net is immune to basically all of the AIM viruses, not to mention that it's much easier to use, ad-free, etc. It's also free unlike Trillian.

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Star Way » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:31 pm

comex wrote:Not here!! Can't this triton rumor stop!?

But, as for getting AIM, http://gaim.sf.net is immune to basically all of the AIM viruses, not to mention that it's much easier to use, ad-free, etc. It's also free unlike Trillian.

Trillian's free... There's a Pro version which can be purchased, but it's not a whole lot better than the basic version.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Max Gene » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:34 pm

Also Triton beta does indeed bundle Spyware as stated by PC world which tested it and other IM apps, don't upgrade Yahoo either I believe. The Triton rumor is a true one, comex.
Max Gene offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby comex » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:44 pm

*sigh* Finally some evidence. I change my mind. :P

comex offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid