Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

I'm so lost!

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

I'm so lost!

Postby Lyoko_Aelita » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:09 am

I want to make a website that is totally FREE! but I have no idea where to start :umm: I mean, how do I even make a home page? and make clickeble links? it's so confusing!!!! I really like the design of this website and forum. What did the admin main guy go to get this site running? I would love to hear some advice or something.

Oh please teach me how!!!!
Lyoko_Aelita offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Jazzy Josh » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Try Geocities geocities.yahoo.com it is free and you get free tools to help you.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Star Way » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:05 pm

Well, judging from your post, you probably don't know HTML, right? In that case I'd recommend Freewebs. They're fast and easy, and great for beginners.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby KarinBerry » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:40 pm

in the past, before I learned basic HTML (I still don't know much, but I'm learning more as I need it!), I used Geocities and Angelfire. Neither of them allowed remote linking of pictures, but if all you need is a page, and not webpace for hosting media, then those should work for you. I personally found Angelfire to work for me because it gave me a template to start with. Geocities is slightly more user-friendly for those with specific ideas about the layout of the page. For both of them, you really don't need to know HTML, as the pagemaker option does all the work for you.

the most useful thing I learned, right off the bat, was how to make a link to a webpage (specifically, mine, but any page can be linked using this method). to do that, you type something that looks like this

< a href="http://www.yahoo.com">Yahoo!</ a>

except you want to remove the spaces before each of the A's

the result once you publish the coding is

<a href="http://www.yahoo.com">Yahoo!</a>

I hope this helps a little! Good luck!
my HYDE avatar was made by <a href="http://milkydrop.livejournal.com">MilkyDrop</a> at LiveJournal.com
KarinBerry offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby jdwrrzmm » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:54 am

Lyoko_Aelita, being a web designer myself I would recommend learning some raw HTML. It is pretty easy since there arent really any variables or math involved. There are a ton of free sites that will host your website also.

www.funky-chickens.com is a great place where to learn HTML. Very user friendly.

These websites will host your website for free.
http://geocities.yahoo.com/
www.anglefire.com
www.expage.com
www.freewebs.com

Are you sure you just don't want a blog type website? Just a journal type website to share with friends? If you have the intent of creating a website with a blog type software that is rather difficult since it involves .php and mysql which is a real complex language. Note that these websites won't let you do anything nearly as complex as what Star Way has done with this site. Also most blogs wont let you host any files bigger then a compressed picture.

Free blog type websites.
www.blogger.com
www.xanga.com
www.livejournal.com
www.myspace.com

Though, what I would reccomend more if you want your own website rather then a blog is to get your own domain name and paying www.godaddy.com to host your website. Hosting is just 4 dollars a month which is very reasonable and you get a ton of bandwidth. No free web site place will really host movies, music, or other large files. Plus there are ads everywere with free sites.

Free free to IM, PM, or email me if you want or need any help. I love helping people and i love it even more when it is tech related.
If truth does not exist, the statement "truth does not exist" is a truth, thereby proving itself incorrect.
jdwrrzmm offline
New Kid
New Kid