Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

Someone explain this to me...

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Someone explain this to me...

Postby Dreamscape » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:26 pm

I have seen something running around on LJ that I find particularly strange and interesting.

You're supposed to post <font color="your livejournal username"> and see what color it shows up as.

You might expect that it doesn't work.

But for most browsers, it does.

Why does it work?!

It's driving me nuts here...
Dreamscape offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Ransomed_Heart » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:34 pm

Well, I can't explain it..What an odd occurance. Mine came out blue...
"I'm so glad I found an angel
Someone who was there
When all my hopes fell.
I wanna fly looking in your eyes.."

-Jesse McCartney, "Because You Live"
~ <3 Ray
Ransomed_Heart offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Star Way » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:04 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that thing... My friends and I puzzled over it for quite a while too.

I don't remember what makes it do that exactly, but I think it has to do with the letters in your username interacting with your browser in the same way it does when you enter a valid code, such as <font color="#000000">.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:49 pm

You can put the code or just the colour on the S1 configuration... but I'm no LJ pro...
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Lotho » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:00 pm

Star Way wrote:Oh yeah, I remember that thing... My friends and I puzzled over it for quite a while too.

I don't remember what makes it do that exactly, but I think it has to do with the letters in your username interacting with your browser in the same way it does when you enter a valid code, such as <font color="#000000">.

The thing is that the value would have to have all characters between 0-9 or A -F. This is because the field requires six hex digits. Every two digits represent a number between 0 and 255. The three sets represent the RGB scheme to allow a total of 16 million different colors.
Lotho offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Paige » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:03 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:You can put the code or just the colour on the S1 configuration... but I'm no LJ pro...

Sounds like it to me.
¿Qué es poesía?, dices mientras clavas
En mi pupila tu pupila azul.

¡Qué es poesía! ¿Y tú me lo preguntas?
Poesía eres tú.
Paige offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Odd22 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 pm

you sound like you kow alot. I dont know alot about it though.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers moved on to rap, Put this in your profile if you're part of the 8% who stayed with rock
Odd22 offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby MY85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:42 pm

odd22 wrote:you sound like you kow alot. I dont know alot about it though.

I would say LothoFoxburr is pro at these things. Or at least, dedicates most of his time to computers and tech stuff.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Star Way » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:02 am

LothoFoxburr wrote:
Star Way wrote:Oh yeah, I remember that thing... My friends and I puzzled over it for quite a while too.

The thing is that the value would have to have all characters between 0-9 or A -F. This is because the field requires six hex digits. Every two digits represent a number between 0 and 255. The three sets represent the RGB scheme to allow a total of 16 million different colors.

Yeah, that sounds right. :) To be honest I never mess with colors in any depth; for web design I just open Photoshop and use the color chooser to create the colors I want to use.

*not lazy*
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Lotho » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:09 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I would say LothoFoxburr is pro at these things. Or at least, dedicates most of his time to computers and tech stuff.

One usually induces the other.

Star Way wrote:Yeah, that sounds right. :) To be honest I never mess with colors in any depth; for web design I just open Photoshop and use the color chooser to create the colors I want to use.

*not lazy*

cheeter :D
Lotho offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Dreamscape » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 am

Thanks guys...:)
Dreamscape offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Max Gene » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:21 pm

It should work like that, numbers and letters go in and do it. I'm not sure how HTML works, but maybe it ignores the stuff after a certain point. Just another stupid net fad... (Opens up Notepad to test it...)
Max Gene offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Chosen_one » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:00 pm

LothoFoxburr wrote:

There is actually another way to create colors. In your html code, if you type in
<font color=blue><p>[Insert Text Here]</p></font>

the text will come up blue.
Similarly, if you type
<font color=purple><p>[Insert Text Here]</p></font>

it'll come up purple.
It works with a bunch of different colors.
A long time ago, when I was about 6, I tried it with blue or green (I think). I spelled it wrong, and it came up a yellowish/tan sort of color. It depends on how your computer/browser interprets different color names.
The Chosen One
Consul of the Republic of Destiny
Conqueror of the Empire of Fate
I have received 2480 replied notifications.
Click here to go to my 1337th post.
Click Here to view the longest thread in Lyoko Freak history.
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lani » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:07 pm

Woah! That's so... weird... o_o Funny how my eljay name has a "red" in it and the font came out yellow...
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jeremie Lover » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Wow. HTML is hard for me 2
I Was Sissi Delmas Lover
Jeremie Lover offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Chad Rains » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:27 pm

meh. once you get used to it, HTML is a peice of cake. during my recent site redesign I had to rewrite a number of pages by hand and keep it XHTML compliant during the whole mess. rewriting the fanfics was quite an adventure. :D
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Chosen_one » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Vchat 2.0 wrote:meh. once you get used to it, HTML is a peice of cake. during my recent site redesign I had to rewrite a number of pages by hand and keep it XHTML compliant during the whole mess. rewriting the fanfics was quite an adventure. :D

Yep. It took about 3 weeks for me to learn HTML just by looking at other websites' source code.
For example, I tore apart the Lyoko Freak source code to base my website on it. Sorry Erynn for looking at your codes. I never got to use it though.

The color of this post is chosen. I don't think it works.
The Chosen One
Consul of the Republic of Destiny
Conqueror of the Empire of Fate
I have received 2480 replied notifications.
Click here to go to my 1337th post.
Click Here to view the longest thread in Lyoko Freak history.
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter